Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working through an OME install of rear springs, rear shocks, and 30mm front spacer. The front struts are Monroe Quick Struts. I do not have a spring compressor, and I'm hoping not to buy one.

The 30mm spacers are from EBay - named "Front strut spacers 30mm for Toyota Rav4 Avensis Caldina Carina Corona Lift Kit" and had this picture.

The bolts are at least 1/2 an inch too long for the 30mm spacer, and also can't to installed on the pre-assembled Quick Strut since they don't fit between the strut mount and the spring seat. Cutting the bolts down by 1/2 an inch lets them _just_ fit in with some wiggling and shimmying.

I "pressed" the bolts back into the mount by putting a 19mm socket over the bolt and tightening the original nut over top, then just and remove the nut and socket. The bolt goes right through the socket, it's really just a big spacer.

I have the front end of the Rav up on jack stands and wheels off. I could again _just_ wiggle and shimmy the struts back into place with the spacers on top. With the steering knuckle free hanging off the sway bar I had trouble getting the now longer struts to line up bolt holes with the knuckle, but turning the steering all the way left or right and maybe even putting a foot on the hub bolts I could get things into place again. Maybe a spring compressor would have helped :shrug:

That took me all day. Tomorrow the rear end. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got a full set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S 235/70-16

This size tire, with a 30mm lift in the front has the smallest, almost ignorable, rub with the steering a bit over half a turn. I think it's rubbing just at the bottom-back-outside edge of the wheel well, right where the fender flairs end. It's such a small amount of rub that I think a 1/8 inch smaller diameter tire would not rub, and I noticed while tire shopping that there is some variation in size of 235/70-16 from different makes and models of tire. I'll have a closer look in the driveway later this week.

Yes pictures to come, it's been dark every time I've remembered to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Remove that bump at the back of the wheel well, it just unbolts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an OME kit with the Quik Strut kit on order for my 1998 2door AWD 5spd Rav.

I am now questioning purchasing front strut spacers. I see TEMA available on ebay from 20mm to 40mm. What are peoples opinion on the need and sizing? Would 40mm give me (or increase my chances of) driveline angle issues? Will I have issues with brake lines? Would I be going up hill? I don't want to go beyond a level front end? Infact, I'd prefer to stay just slightly rear high.

I hope to gain maximum tire clearance, but not at the cost of potential driveline issues or an overly high front end.
My goal is to improve deep snow ability on poorly maintained roads, not any serious off roading/ crawling. This is my regular winter driver in a mountain town.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey ytrav,

Welcome to the forums.

Mine is the 4 door Rav, so things might be a bit different, but...
With my 30mm spacers up front I'm facing just ever so slightly downhill. If you put in 40mm spacers you should be very near level. I think the CV joints won't let the suspension extend longer that the brake lines can reach.

I'm also not off-roading, just snow or gavel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has any one had CV joint issues by going too high? It seems like 30mm strut spacers have been done with a full EMU kit.
Would I be pushing it with 40mm spacers? Should I go with 30mm? or even 20mm?
EMU kit is here, need to order spacers soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems I could be a little out of date on this topic.
I shall play it safe and add the 30mm Tema front spacers to my EMU kit, as this seems proven compatible/reliable.
Thank you, BueGreg for your example and advice

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the 40mm spacers on the front of my 2000 4 door and no issues whatsoever. I purchased all four as I intended to do spacers on the rear but I did not use them so save yourself some money and just get the front ones. My rav4 is pretty much level with the OME lift and the 40mm spacer and I love the look, ride, and height. I have not had any issues with CV joints or brake lines since doing this lift in June of 2018. Be careful removing the rear shocks, the lower bolt can be pretty rusty, I had one break on me and I am from rust-free AZ. Just be patient and you should be fine though! Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts