Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm officially old. :( I touched (and for that matter, looked at) an iPod for the very first time in my life today, and it happens to be mine...I ordered it last week.

Now, I'm generally very much technically and mechanically inclined. I can almost always figure things out without instructions and without a lot of fuss. But I just can't seem to get my head around this stupid iPod. I mean, okay, fair enough, I've managed to get a bunch of songs on it (after mistakenly deleting all the songs I had originally put on it while I was still at work), and I've even put on a few videos. But WHY is it so much work?!!

Clearly there must be something wrong with me. I think I've hit the wall. From here on out, technology is gonna pass me by, it's all gonna go right over my head, I just know it! Why the heck can all these stoner kids who can't put a simple sentence together figure these things out no problem, and I have to fuss with it for six hours before I get it down?!! :wall

Just kidding. Sort of. It really has been a serious learning curve.

FWIW, I blame it on the fact that it's Apple. Why can't it have nice, tidy Explorer-like directories and navigation like Ricky's extremely cool Archos media player? Why the f*** does it ONLY recognize STUPID video formats and not standard ones?!!

Yep, that's it. I'm a PC person trying to work an Apple device. :roll:

Incidentally, for those of you who do know how to work these things, what is a good (and preferably free) video convertor program so I can convert mpegs, avi, and such to mp4? :?:

Becky

·
Registered
129 Posts
Becky J. said:
I've managed to get a bunch of songs on it (after mistakenly deleting all the songs I had originally put on it while I was still at work)
congrats on your iPod.....

is itunes in more than one computer? if yes, then you run the risk of having 2 different libraries. it is only a bad thing if your iPod is set up to update automatically.

this can be changed by connecting your iPod to itunes, click on "edit," then click on "preferences," then click on the "iPod" tab, here you will see there is the "music" tab which allows you to either to auto or manual update. auto update works when everytime you connect your iPod to itunes whatever is in the library will go to your iPod, so if you just add 1 song to itunes, then that one song will go into your iPod. if there are no songs in itunes, then when you plug your iPod, whatever was in your iPod will disappear. in short, whatever is in itunes will be in your iPod.

now, doing manual update will allow you to control what goes into your iPod.

i use manual update, because i don't have that much disk space to save all the songs. so everytime i put a song in itunes, once i put them in my iPod, i erase the song files.

if no, you only have itunes in one computer, then are you deleting the songs from itunes after you put them in your iPod. just go back to choosing if you want a auto or manual update.

this is about all i can think of, hope it helps....

B

·
0 Posts
ipods combined with itunes is possibly the easiest set-up going!

don't know how you could bash apple? The 2 work together seemlessly

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Becky J wrote:
Yep, that's it. I'm a PC person trying to work an Apple device.
Don't get discouraged, Becky, being a Windows person, at first I was puzzled how to download/upload using the Apple format, and instructions (what little there were) were extremely vague. Just play with it, especially the toolbar and side menu, and you'll pick it up in no time. After awhile, I was able to shift languages to Korean, and download nearly twenty cd's to my wife's Ipod, and I don't even read Korean!! :shock:

OC

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Kordz! I do have it set to manual update now and I even managed to figure out how to do the manual updating now...I think. I probably won't do much with it on my office computer anymore, as I was just wanting to play with it right away when it arrived, but I probably will want to use it with one or more of our laptops and it's good to know I won't wipe everything out again! :roll:

The thing where it wipes everything out if you go from one computer to another is SERIOUSLY counter-intuitive (at least for lifetime PC users like me...I expect things to only be deleted if I specifically tell my device to delete them, and even then usually the device will ask if you really want to do it). In answering the question about connecting to the Library on this computer as opposed to that computer, the possibility of it wiping everything if I answered wrong did not occur to me. (Fortunately what got wiped out is saved elsewhere, so no biggie this time.)

Bzride, nobody was bashing Apple, I was just pointing out that if someone is of a PC mindset, the Apple way of doing things is totally foreign. But if iTunes was as easy as you say, software like Anapod and the like would not exist. I don't want to pay for it, so I'm gonna persevere with iTunes, but it is a huge hassle compared to an environment more like Windows Explorer. But anyway, iTunes does work fine, after the PC-user six-hour learning curve, so I'm okay with it.

My husband's Archos (similar concept to a video iPod but a little bigger, and with a bigger screen) functions exactly like any other hard drive attached to his computer...right click to copy, right click to paste, and whatever he wants is stored on his Archos in about one second flat. And I think it's DIVX, so the ability to make video files work with it is much more widely available (and free). Having had experience with this device, I was just having trouble getting my head around the idea that I couldn't just hook the iPod up to my computer, go into Windows Explorer, and copy and paste my little heart out. Had that been the case, I would've filled my 30 gigs in a few minutes and that would be that.

Again, I point out that I'm not bashing Apple, I'm just saying it's DIFFERENT.

OC, congrats on learning Korean by iPod! If you can do that, there may be hope for me to learn the English version yet! :lol: I've already got all of my CDs ripped (hence my desire to just use Explorer to copy and paste) because I do have an mp3 head unit. I got the iPod mainly because it says "U2" on it (yes, I'm a sucker for U2, just like Ricky's a sucker for anything Star Wars :roll: ).

Becky

·
Registered
654 Posts
Becky, if you have time, check out iLounge. (used to be called iPodLounge) It's a great site to find all sorts of topics about iPod and also on accessories. The site takes some getting used to since it's jammed with so much info.

I only have the mini so don't know the video functions. I heard it can be a bit tricky to convert but I"m sure you'll find the answer at the site.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Becky J. said:
Again, I point out that I'm not bashing Apple, I'm just saying it's DIFFERENT.

Becky
Wasn't Apple's marketing theme a few years back: "Think Different" :D

Being a lifetime Apple user, I view the same with the PC operating system. I don't know if it is just me, but that darn Windows OS just doesn't make sense to me. :lol:

Becky, at least you are willing to try new things. I am a Mac user but haven't had the interest in iPods. I am old school listen to the radio kind of guy. :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am also Apple / Mac user and I use Mac at home and PC at work.
I used Apple since IIgs all the way through compact macs to my current eMac. Mac is different than PC in many ways but it is easier to use and integrates easier with accessories e.g. ipod or any USB device. In my opinion, Itunes on Mac works much better than the one on PC.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
And being on the same subject of Apple, my bf is a PC user cuz of video games and such programs that aren't compatible with Macs, but he loves the fact that Macs are far more reliable than PCs. His dad gave him an external hard drive that uses some kind of port (or whatever that's called) that the Macs come with, but his PC didn't... He was pissed :(... If he could, he'd buy a Mac without thinking about it :) I would've got a Mac too if Autocad were compatible with it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks much to everyone for the links, advice, and comments! I greatly appreciate it!

Think Different, that's right, I had forgotten about that slogan. It really does pretty much sum the whole thing up in a nutshell. I'm too old to think different! "What do you mean there's no on/off switch?!" :wink:

Good news on the video conversion front. We found a nice little freeware program called Videora iPod Converter and tested it on a couple short videos as well as a two-hour long one, and it worked great. I'm gonna test it on a few more and if it's still as good as it seems I'll be sending them a voluntary donation for being the first iPod related thing that makes total sense. :lol:

Derek, the upcoming version of Windows may make sense to you. Ricky is beta-testing it and he says it's made to look and work very much like the current Mac OS. (Ricky works with both Macs and PCs at the technical college where he's a computer tech.) Also, I'm much more of a radio person myself...not real clear on what I'm gonna do with the iPod...but it's got U2's autographs on the back, and it's black and red! I mean, come on, how could I resist?!! :wink:

FWIW, the first computer I owned (as opposed to just using in a computer class in high school) was an Apple IIc. I even used the very first version of the Mac (yep, this one: http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/bytecover.shtml ) for a short time in my first office job. But all that was 20-25 years ago so I can't say it helped me much! :lol:

Thanks again everybody!

Becky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts