Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening a neighbor approached me because he is selling his 2001 Toyota MR2. A Spyder, I think. I'll look at it again tomorrow. The MR2 is just such a sexy little summer fun car.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
This evening a neighbor approached me because he is selling his 2001 Toyota MR2. A Spyder, I think. I'll look at it again tomorrow. The MR2 is just such a sexy little summer fun car.

Sounds intriguing and tempting, but with Minnesota's heavy use of road salt in winter I'd be very wary of rust. Maybe he only drives it in summer .. . .
:smile

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds intriguing and tempting, but with Minnesota's heavy use of road salt in winter I'd be very wary of rust. Maybe he only drives it in summer .. . .
:smile
We don't use salt on the roads here. It attracts wildlife, especially deer. But he does store it all Winter anyway.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
We don't use salt on the roads here. It attracts wildlife, especially deer. But he does store it all Winter anyway.

Perhaps road salt isn't used in your area, but according to news reports (there was one on national news a few weeks ago about Minnesota stockpiling road salt for winter) it is used in much of the state. Road Salt « CBS Minnesota When I lived there salt was used on virtually all paved roads. One recent news report noted that road salt is used in preference to allowing drivers to use studded tires.

Since that Toyota is stored over winter and I lived there I would be very tempted to buy it!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps road salt isn't used in your area

Since that Toyota is stored over winter and I lived there I would be very tempted to buy it!
Yes no salt here. Regarding the MR2, I regret that I must pass. I'm only a few hours from finishing this - with a monster engine.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Yes no salt here. Regarding the MR2, I regret that I must pass. I'm only a few hours from finishing this - with a monster engine.

Whoa! Details, please unless you've already posted them on another thread . . .:wink

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
I saw on Wheeler Dealers, one of my favorite shows, that the drip rail in the engine compartment soaks the alternator with water. If there is a problem with the charging system now you know where to look. It is replaced from beneath the car.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoa! Details, please unless you've already posted them on another thread . . .:wink
I had always wanted to build my little dream engine based upon a T1 Volkswagen. The vehicle in the photo has an engine with absolutely no VW parts whatsoever. 2165cc, split cam, big heads, all aluminum nickelsil cylinders, huge compression, 4:1 wrapped headers, dual dual Weber carbs (making 1 40mm carb per cylinder), all balanced to the max. Rancho transmission with close ratio for 1 to 3 and way overdrive in 4th. It's just stupid what i spent on all that. And the infrastructure, the chassis is maxed out with all the right stuff.

It took years and now I am Seventy years old and don't like bending over, crawling around to work on it. I will probably die with it in the garage untouched for decades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts