Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 rav4 : cooling fan on passenger side of radiator isn't coming on.. What should I check first .2nd.. Fuse box shows fan1 fan2 and fan3 ..which is which?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Neither one of mine is coming on, and it doesn't have a distributor cap like the book shows.
Only the Gen1 RAV have the distributor caps. The 2001 model onwards have coil packs for each spark plugs which are on top of the valve cover.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuses for the cooling fan is fuse 1 and 3 is for radiator ( fan on the passenger side ) fuse for fan 2 is for a/c cooling( fan on driver side ).
Consult your owners manual for description of fuse. If you need more help here is a website with diagrams: toyodiy.com, you would need your vehicle vin number. This is parts catalog with parts number and description, which you can google. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The shift solenoids are in the transmission, you'd have to take the bottom pan off to get to the solenoids (which involves dripping transmission fluid everywhere). Probably more likely to be an ECM or wiring issue though, I'd test all that first. Do you have any actual transmission issues in driving? I'm not really familiar with the specifics of the '98 RAV4 though, you'd be better off asking on the RAV4.1 forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shift Solenoid

The shift solenoids are in the transmission, you'd have to take the bottom pan off to get to the solenoids (which involves dripping transmission fluid everywhere). Probably more likely to be an ECM or wiring issue though, I'd test all that first. Do you have any actual transmission issues in driving? I'm not really familiar with the specifics of the '98 RAV4 though, you'd be better off asking on the RAV4.1 forum.
I did change the little shift solenoid in the transmission of my 98 GMC cargo van. It was easy, with the additional benefits of new fluid and gasket. But I watched a youtube were the shift solenoid in the 98 RAV4 was a much bigger thing and down underneath the breather assembly somewhere. It's hard to tell where exactly the guy was pointing to. I thought someone might know. And I'm going by the code reader to know it's bad. :frown
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts