Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 and an '09 RAV4. The keyfobs use the same FCC id keyfob. Various YouTube videos show how to program the fob to the car by repeatedly inserting and removing the key, closing and opening the door, etc. Presumably this is actually programming the car to accept the fob, not the other way around. It seems that I should be able to program both cars to respond to either fob. (Obviously the key won't work, since the teeth are wrong). Anything wrong with this logic? Any reason this seems like a stupid idea?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The key and remote are 1 unit so what would the point be? You want a fob to unlock something you can't drive?...I also think the fob gets the car's programming tho I could be wrong...also the 09 would have a transponder chip for sure and the 07 may not...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The key and remote are 1 unit so what would the point be? You want a fob to unlock something you can't drive?...I also think the fob gets the car's programming tho I could be wrong...also the 09 would have a transponder chip for sure and the 07 may not...
The point, which I guess is not obvious, is that with both fobs on the keyring, and the keyring in my pocket, I somehow always pick the wrong fob to lock/unlock the car. It should be 50/50, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Presumably this is actually programming the car to accept the fob, not the other way around. It seems that I should be able to program both cars to respond to either fob. (Obviously the key won't work, since the teeth are wrong). Anything wrong with this logic? Any reason this seems like a stupid idea?
Thanks
I believe your logic is correct, but here is the main problem. When you unlock one RAV in the morning and drive away, your second RAV will remain unlocked in the driveway.

Now what exactly are the benefits? You want/need to carry both FOBs with you all the time, and this plan will allow you to pull either FOB from your pocket to unlock the door. Then once you get in the car and sit down, you will discover you have the wrong FOB in your hand, and you will need to get out again so that you can reach back into your pocket for the correct FOB.

I'm not sure there is any benefit at all. It seems like it can only cause more physical work struggling to reach into your pockets while seated , and create some more security concerns by leaving your second RAV unlocked.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
As you suspected, the fob has no idea what vehicle it is "married" to... it truly is a non-monogamous relationship.
There is no reason that the same fob could not be used to open multiple vehicles.
If a new key and new remote can be paired with a vehicle, then that same key and remote could be paired with multiple vehicles.

Depending on the year and trim level, you may have to program both the remote AND the immobilizer. It will likely require a connection with Techstream, but it doesn't sound like you are concerned about the immobilizer since you're still using the orignal key.

What year did Toyota move to the integrated key/fob on the Rav? My wife's '04 still had the separate remote, as well as my '08 4Runner.

And yes, this is the exact reason that the "smartkey" was a requirement for my new Corolla.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I believe your logic is correct, but here is the main problem. When you unlock one RAV in the morning and drive away, your second RAV will remain unlocked in the driveway.
Relocks in 30 seconds if a door is not opened unless it was reprogrammed to not do that.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The point, which I guess is not obvious, is that with both fobs on the keyring, and the keyring in my pocket, I somehow always pick the wrong fob to lock/unlock the car. It should be 50/50, but it doesn't seem to work that way.
Why not paint or mark one of the fobs in a manner that makes it easily recognizable...maybe have the key/fob for yours and then just a regular key for hers...if you have both fobs open both ravs you will still have the issue of grabbing the wrong key...

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
maybe have the key/fob for yours and then just a regular key for hers...if you have both fobs open both ravs you will still have the issue of grabbing the wrong key...
That's what I did when she had her 4.2 and the only thing the fob did was open the doors.

Her 4.4 needs the fob to unlock and open the rear gate (otherwise it's a matter of unlocking the car, reach in and hit the opener on the dash)... And on the XLE, after closing the gate, relocking the doors requires the fob, or going back to the front, opening a door, manually locking, and closing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts