Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No offense to anyone who has bought one or is planning to buy one, but I think the new design is Butt ugly......yes with a capital B.

The interior looks pretty good and I'm glad that they made the speedo the "center of attention" vs the tach on my '04.

I just really hate the slanted window look. It reminds me of a beefed up Vibe......bleh

·
Registered
875 Posts
yeah, it does look kinda funny. With the hand position in which I drive, I definitely prefer the speedometer on the side where I can see it. That's one of the things I loved about the rav4. Manual drivers will tell you they love the tach in the center too.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really doesn't do anything for me either. The biggest liability is the rear quarter window to the backend. Toyota is adesign follower in this design. The X3, Mazda 3, Vibe, etc all had this a couple years ago. Good thing Toyota has a reliable track record because people will buy it for that alone.

They would be better off keeping the same design and just making it the size of the 06

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan Dahl said:
It really doesn't do anything for me either. The biggest liability is the rear quarter window to the backend. Toyota is adesign follower in this design. The X3, Mazda 3, Vibe, etc all had this a couple years ago. Good thing Toyota has a reliable track record because people will buy it for that alone.

They would be better off keeping the same design and just making it the size of the 06
Have you seen these?

These are Toyotas that have been on sale in Europe for 2-3 years now.

The first is called the Avensis Verso and has been on sale in Europe since 2002. We have been driving one for a couple of years.

The second is the Corolla Verso. Same basic shape.

IMO, the new exterior styling of the new RAV4 bears more than a passing similarity to these other Toyotas. However, the interior styling of the RAV4 is a lot better than these.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'll have to admit that the new Rav itself is not a bad looking car, the problem i have with it is that it's a bit bigger than what i need. I think if i weren't the owner of a 4.2, i might consider this one, but i love the exterior of mine better :).

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm still reserving judgement on the 4.3s for as long as I can.

I hope they have great engines and other mechanical parts, but the one I saw this evening (distributor's car) parked in a local shopping center sure left a lot to be desired in terms of shape/styling. There's something kind of clunky looking about the view from the rear--maybe it's boxier. It didn't help that that vehicle was just beige. The photos that flyingn posted recently sure look a lot better than that one!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flyingn said:
this is not sexy to you?? man o man...

sorry, I have an '04 Sport and an 05 camry se and in love with both of them and Toyota in general, but honestly if I had to buy a new vehicle today, I would buy something else based only on the exterior. I'm glad you like it and happy for you, but it's not for me.....sorry :(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not much to hate , not much to love, just bland. Looks like the requirements were fed into a computer and this generic shape popped out. like them or not, that can't be said about the last two styles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think the biggest problem with all Toyotas in general is their BLAND paint colours and trim .

IE - The Matrix's are nice cars but when you see them in that dull , blu ish/grey colour , they look like crap .
Then when you see the Pontiac Vibe (same cars) , they look a lot better regardless of paint on them .

The first 2006 Rav I saw was a silver one BLAAAH :x .
I almost walked right past it because I didn't recognize it for what it was :shock: .
Then I saw a red one and it looked like a completely different vehicle .

Come on Toyota , your not making vehicles for just little old men/ladies , expand your colours and paint schemes !!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had been waiting since my 2001 RAV (and before that 1996) purchase for a somewhat larger and beefy'er RAV4. Now that I've seen them I'm torn between the good (larger size and power) the bad (light color interiors, no nav and no satilite radio, what's up with that??) and the ugly (yes it does look like a Toyota Matrix on steriods).

Now do I wait for the Mazda CX7 or the Acura RDX??
:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts