Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased a 2017 Toyota Rav4 XLE Hybrid less than a month ago.

When at the dealership, they showed us how to fold the rear seat. They used the rear seat on the passenger side to demonstrate this.

Yesterday, we finally got around to testing the rear seats ourselves. And when I tried to fold the driver side rear seat down, it wouldn't fold. It neither folds forward nor reclines backward. The Seatback Angle Adjustment Lever on the seat's side doesn't seem to engage with latch inside the seat and rotates up/down with minimum effort.

This doesn't seem to be the case with the Passenger side rear seat, where we can feel the Lever engaging with the latch inside and we are able to easily fold that seat.

Any suggestions how I can fix this ?

Another thing I noticed is that the lid of the Console Box (under the driver's right hand arm rest) closes with a thud (makes a surprisingly loud sound) and seems to have no resistance in its setup to slow down its descent to closed position. Am afraid that with repeated opening and closing the latch used to close it will break. Am wondering if this is an issue with just my car or a generic design flaw with this Rav4 model. Any comments regarding your experience with this will be appreciated !!

Thanks, in advance !!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think the best course of action is to go back to the dealer and have them show you how to fold the driver side rear seat down. Let them "discover" that is does not operate properly,and have them repair it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Console lid on mine has a light spring that will raise it slowly, the tray has no such feature, either they removed the spring for '17 models or yours is broken, agree on visiting the dealer on the seat issue as well, mine has always worked fine. It wouldn't surprise me if the lid no longer has the spring assist, Toyota has been deleting small features like that for the last decade to cut costs!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I plan to visit my dealer this weekend to get the rear seat issue addressed.
Console Box closing with a thud seems abnormal. So will checkout other similar cars in the lot to check if they have the same issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok.... So I went to the dealer.... he found that a belt that connects to the Seatback Angle Adjustment Lever is broken. But, they don't have the part with them and it will take 1 week to get it from Toyota. So in the meanwhile they want to keep the car for 1 week because the rear seat was dismantled to look into this issue. They said to keep the loaner car till that time.

Is it safe to keep the car with the dealership for a week generally ? Any chance they steal parts from my car ? It's the same dealership that I bought the car from and felt they were quite dishonest during the sale.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update.... Car is still with the dealer... Has been for 10 days now. First they said a belt is broken; it took them 5 days to get that part. Then they said another part that goes with the belt is needed. Said that design changed and they didn't know about this part since 2017 Rav4 is a very new vehicle. Am surprised. How can a dealership not have an idea about parts used in the car?
Now after putting both those parts, they said that actually the folding mechanism was broken too and they have to replace that part. So am still waiting for them to fix the car after this 3rd part arrives.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sorry but seatbelt relates to folding mechanism how?
Reread post. Nothing was said about a "seat" belt.
".... he found that a belt that connects to the Seatback Angle Adjustment Lever is broken."

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
Something tells me THEY broke something while trying to fix the problem and that's why they had to order additional parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something tells me THEY broke something while trying to fix the problem and that's why they had to order additional parts.
Probably that's true. They seem to indicate that the guides from company are wrong and doesn't show all the parts involved in the mechanism.

Surprisingly its always when I call them that they realize they still have to complete this fix. Still haven't received my car. Last time the explanation for delay was that since 2017 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid is such a new car, they were having difficulty finding parts. I didn't buy that argument. This car has been out for more than a year now. I maybe would have understood that comment for a 2018 Toyota Rav4 but not the 2017 model.

But, am not sure what to do to expedite the repair. I guess I have to wait for them to fix it. Will at max give them time till end of week. Then I am going to call Toyota directly and complain about the tardy service by their dealer.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
They SHOULD have given you a loaner car, did they?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well I certainly wouldn't be going back there! I'd drive further to another dealer if you ever have to go back!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I certainly wouldn't be going back there! I'd drive further to another dealer if you ever have to go back!
That's the plan. But for this issue thought it was better to go to the dealer who sold the car.

Btw, they just informed that I shouldn't expect the car for another week. Seemingly the parts are in short supply since its a very new car (sic). And they are diverting this part straight from the assembly line, so will take a week to arrive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figured out how to fix this...

Google "Hunter Karr RAV4" and you will find the two YouTube videos i made that show you how to do it.

(forum won't let me post links!)
Thanks for the video. Glad it worked for you.

My dealer just called, he said that they took out the seat (i guess seat frame) from another Toyota Rav4 and put it in my car (2017 rav4 hybrid). Hopefully they pulled it out from a new car. Am always suspicious about anything this dealer says or does, they are just deceitful generally.
Surprisingly, Toyota itself was against doing this, and instead asked the dealer to wait until the new replacement seat comes from Japan, which would have took another 4 wks. I wasn't in a rush though as I had a loaner car that is working out ok for me (it is a v6 gas guzzler though).

Finally I will get my car back after more than a month.

So not sure if any other person on this forum has experience with dealer taking parts out from another car to fix your car. I hope they use new cars in such cases. Let me know if you have any comments.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They SHOULD have given you a loaner car, did they?
Hi.... You are a long time member of this forum.
I was wondering if you have heard of dealer taking parts out from another car to fix your car. Am just worried that they might have taken this part out from a year old car even though mine is just a couple of months old.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts