Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the lousy coffee cup holders. Every day on my way to work I have to jam something in between the cup to keep it from sliding around spilling coffee :x . I noticed that the lever in there is so so so weak that they could not hold anything. It's time to do some modifying :D

Sorry, I had to vent about this because it's driving me crazy......

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
ya know I was just thinking about this same thing this morn too. WHY on earth did Toyota decide to make the cup holds SOOO big?? And worst yet to make th etabs have such weak springs? They should offer some sort of insert to put in those holders to fit a regular coffee cup .

·
Registered
132 Posts
Holder

My wife's ford has the same problem holding a bottle of water. I always thought about cutting a piece of plastic PVC pipe to use. Maybe a 3 or 3 1/2 inch diameyer and about 3 or 4 inches high. That would clamp in pretty well and then you could set your cup in that......

A

·
0 Posts
They are indeed big. But they do have on advantage: the Belkin TuneDok iPod cradle fits perfectly with the base turned upside down. At least that's one silver lining.

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks 4.3 owners! Things like this make me appreicate what was done right on my 4.2 version. Thus, I'm not so jealous of the other improvements your 4.3's have over mine.

You can explain to passengers why you use a PVC pipe to hold your beverages and I can explain why I have to use a bungee cord to keep my cargo cover up.

I guess the engineers that designed my cup holders (which Consumer Reports was very impressed with) had moved on after 5 years. I'm sorry your 4.3 isn't the perfect breakfast nook on wheels. At least you have greater cargo capacity.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The problem with the 4.1 RAVs is that the cup holders are too small. :lol: You can't fit anything bigger than a medium sized fast-food cup in those things. I would rather have much bigger cup holders than too small. At least you can modify it to fit different sized containers. :D

S

·
0 Posts
rav4less said:
is the lousy coffee cup holders. Every day on my way to work I have to jam something in between the cup to keep it from sliding around spilling coffee :x . I noticed that the lever in there is so so so weak that they could not hold anything. It's time to do some modifying :D

Yes, I hate that too. You don't need to modify, just get the right Coffe travel mug. I bought a 14 ounch Thermos travel mug. Stainless with a rubber grip at Target. It is the perfect size and height, only hold 14 ozs though. The tab holds it in place nicely, and we have crappy roads in Portland that vibrate the heck out of the car and I haven't had an issue yet. This particular mug you don't have to turn, you can drink all around the lip. It was $15 at Target. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
The spring-loaded plastic thing simply needs to be longer and the spring stronger. I don't drink coffee, but even a bottled water in there doesn't want to stay because the plastic is barely touching the bottle. Even with 20oz drink cups, the spring just isn't strong enough and it tends to slide around. I love having a big cup holder, but toyota did a sad job of providing for smaller cups. I don't understand how companies screw up something so basic.

R

·
0 Posts
rav4less said:

At least we have them! On my 96, we had that one teeny holder in the back...and, that wasn't large enough for my 24 ounce sport bottle of Ozarka! LOL!

I haven't had any trouble with the new holders...but, my bottle does wiggle around in there. It hasn't fallen out yet when turning a corner...but, I'm waiting for that day. (I don't drink anything other than water).

I saw some of these cup holder inserts at Wal*mart or Target that you put inside of your cupholders to make them smaller. Maybe you can look into something like this?

C

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
WHY on earth did Toyota decide to make the cup holds SOOO big??
So they could fit the super-ultra-gigantic-mondo-you-have-to-use-the-bathroom-before-you-can-finish-the-drink sized quickie-stop beverage containers.

S

·
0 Posts
That sounds like what they fit in Hummers :)

Yes sounds like the 4.3 Cupholders suck, Something that cannot said about the 4.2 Cupholders, Okay maybe not as big as the 4.3 Cupholders but the 4.2 Cupholders fit most beverages and adjustable to fit the size required and will not move an inch once adjusted.

R

·
0 Posts
CampingColorado said:
flyingn said:
WHY on earth did Toyota decide to make the cup holds SOOO big??
So they could fit the super-ultra-gigantic-mondo-you-have-to-use-the-bathroom-before-you-can-finish-the-drink sized quickie-stop beverage containers.
You are probably right!! They probably think all of us Americans drink Big Gulps and the Route 44 from Sonic...so, they designed those huge cup holders! LOL!

Again...I'm just glad to have cup holders!

·
Registered
270 Posts
cupholders

I don't have my RAV yet, but I wonder is the cupholder the right size to hold a 32oz. Nalgene water bottle?

R

·
0 Posts
Re: cupholders

sooperedd said:
I don't have my RAV yet, but I wonder is the cupholder the right size to hold a 32oz. Nalgene water bottle?
I'm sure it is plenty big enough! I have LOTS and LOTS of room leftover after I put in my 24 ounce Ozarka sportpack bottle in it!

I have an interior photo of my RAV in my album. You can sort of see the size of the cupholders.

R

·
0 Posts
Re: cupholders

Yes! Those are great as well! I'm too short to grab my water out of there while I'm driving (not long enough arms to watch the road and to grab it)...but, I do put an extra bottle in there so I have one handy at all times. Sadly, when it gets to be 115 outside, I won't be able to do that. Yesterday we hit 98...and, my water was boiling!

R

·
0 Posts
Cup holders are one thing I do look at when buying a car and my last car (RSX-S) had GREAT cupholders. They were a little narrower, but at least twice as deep so you knew your drink was NEVER going to tip over. The spring on the RAV4 cupholders is a definite problem and tall drinks WILL tip over without much trouble. Of course the worst cupholders I ever had were in my 2001 Sunfire. They were just too shallow to be of any use and anything you did put in there would block the climate controls. Now that's NOT well thought out at all.

If you make the springs too strong, it might compress the cup or make insertion/removal difficult. If they are too light (as most seem to agree) they are useless. Maybe if I stuck some foam behind that lever.....

Rob

V

·
0 Posts
My point exactly!!!

Derek said:
The problem with the 4.1 RAVs is that the cup holders are too small. :lol: You can't fit anything bigger than a medium sized fast-food cup in those things. I would rather have much bigger cup holders than too small. At least you can modify it to fit different sized containers. :D
.....at least these guys have ADJUSTABLE cup holders!!....On my Lexus LS 400, I have to deal with a cupholder (if you can call it that :roll: ) that is virtually useless except to hold a small "paper cup" ......it's basically a piece of plastic with 2 round circles :roll: .......at least they could have made a "cut" somewhere in those "circles" so that it could accomodate the HANDLE of a SMALL coffee cup .....and mind you , this car is supposed to be the FLAGSHIP of Toyota's fleet :roll:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure if this issue was fully addressed, but there is a rubber insert for the cup holder that came with my 2007 RAV4. You just drop it in the cup holder and you can safely store your cups/bottles, etc. with no problem.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts