Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rav4 does not have the feature, when you just touch the turn signal - it flashes 3 times. This is very handy when e.g. changing lanes.

As far as I've found, newer models have a computer controlled turn signals and this feature is programmable, you can change off/3 times/5times/7 times blink. However my car looks to be controller old fashioned way - via relay, there are not such option to customize using techstream.

Is there a way to implement such feature? Perhaps there are some aftermarket relay's available that would automatically achieve this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it looks that way :)

Many of newer european cars have this feature, which is nice when changing lanes. I was hoping for some easier solution than buying special modules.

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
There is an actual plug n play replacement relay that I've seen online but I remember it was expensive, something like $100.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one installed in my 2006 RAV4. It's a original Toyota aftermarket feature and costs about €55,- in the Netherlands.
Real easy to install combined with the original relay.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I put one of these in my Subaru back in the day. Looks like they only support 00-05 RAV4 though you could try contacting to see if that is just not up to date.
TapTurn - support
I emailed them about support for 2009 Rav4 and was told it is compatible. He has since updated the website to show compatibility from 2000-2012 Rav4. The only caveat is that you have to snip a little bit of the plastic off in order for it to plug in. I ended up ordering one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Got this installed today. The flash relay works as advertised. It blinks 3 time on a slight tap. My only gripe is that my turn signal switch doesn't really work like the 4.4 Rav that has the one-touch turn signal "feel" to it. In other words, there isn't that "give" when I tap it and so I end up pushing the switch all the way up or down and it defeats the purpose of having the tap feature.

My question to members of this forum is...Is the 4.4 turn signal one-touch assembly compatible with 4.3 Rav4? I saw this listed on ebay...14 15 Toyota Corolla Column Turn Signal Light Switch | eBay

I also saw another member from .NL posted in this thread about an aftermarket Toyota product that works with the oem relay. Can you provide more info about this product?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you think the 4.4 stalk switch is compatible and plug & play with the steering column of 4.3?...I'm swapping out the steering wheel into a Euro spec when I purchase another 4.3, I was thinking maybe swapping out the 4.4 stalk switch and installing the TapTurn relay as well since I'm taking the steering wheel apart. The reason for this is I use the 3 turn signal a lot on my 09 Rav4 before it was totaled. The "flex" in the 4.4 stalk switch is a very convenient feature that I think would work for me if it is compatible with the TapTurn relay. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Home

·
Registered
824 Posts
As many of you may know, TapTurn was created by a single hobbiest, Scott McPhee. We are very sad to inform you that Scott has recently passed away. We know that he cared deeply about his creations and the people who are interested in them and we have ensured that all orders are up to date. Unfortunately, we are not able to fulfill future orders and are thus putting TapTurn purchases on hiatus until further notice. Thank you for your understanding. ---- Scott's Family.
When I started using the Internet in the late 90's, I didn't know nobody that died on Internet. It was awesome... Sadly time catches on. Even the Internet feels that.

A $60 relay that does the same thing: Amazon.com: SmartTap CF18 LED Flasher Module, by Diode Dynamics: Automotive

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks. I'll consider it when I buy my car. I didn't know Scott passed away. That exlains why I didn't get an email response when I asked about ordering through their website.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good luck with it. Let us know how you make out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts