Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the online "get a quote from a dealer" when trying to get a price on their new RAV4? I used Cars.com, Edmunds and Auto Bytel on MSN. After configuring my vehicle, my quote replies from each particpating dealer was an invitation to visit the dealership. What a scam, I wanted to compare numbers, not get an invitation to get interrogated in the dealers' "hot box"!!

The automotive websites each sent me a corresponding email asking for feedback on their quote service. I replied and let them know what I thought - SCAM!!!

OC :evil:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The only thing that these online quote does is to get you in touch with the internet manager. To get a real quote, you need to call him or her up or go see them in person. Most of the time, you need to show that you are real serious about buying a car before they will talk real numbers with you.

Good Luck

G

·
0 Posts
I've actually been getting some decent (slowly-decreasing! 8) ) quotes this way. I find that refusing to respond results in a phone call with an even lower quote. :lol:

A handful of dealers do seem to refuse to quote online altogether though.

R

·
0 Posts
My wife is an Internet Manager at a Toyota Dealer

Hello! My wife is actually an Internet Manager at a Toyota Dealer in NY. She would be glad to give you a real quote. Visit her at www.basiltoyota.com for any type of quote. They sell many cars to areas outside of NY, and can also put you in touch with autoshippers. You can do the whole deal online without ever stepping foot in the dealership!! :D [/url]

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: My wife is an Internet Manager at a Toyota Dealer

Ok, let me try, I'm a real buyer!! :D

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I've used edmunds get a price quote service in the past with great results.

I got a quotes on the exact configuration I was looking for no problem and on the first email.

That would indicate to me that it's the dealers...not the websites.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Anyone use the online "get a quote from a dealer" when trying to get a price on their new RAV4? I used Cars.com, Edmunds and Auto Bytel on MSN. After configuring my vehicle, my quote replies from each particpating dealer was an invitation to visit the dealership. What a scam, I wanted to compare numbers, not get an invitation to get interrogated in the dealers' "hot box"!!
I've used KBB and Toyota's get a quote and I was satified with the process to point that all responded and one actually resulted in my purchase. Now all but one said MSRP but they responded even after I said I already made a puchase. I detailed some of my experience in my other thread. "Another RAV 4 Purchase"

·
Registered
24 Posts
nouse4aname said:
I've used edmunds get a price quote service in the past with great results.

I got a quotes on the exact configuration I was looking for no problem and on the first email.

That would indicate to me that it's the dealers...not the websites.
The websites should remove offending dealers from the program, then. Anyone can find a Toyota dealer by visiting toyota.com. People requesting an "online quote" usually expect to receive one. Dealers who ask Edmunds to include them in their "online quotes" program and then never give quotes online are abusing the program and using it just to get leads.

S

·
0 Posts
it really depends on the dealerships in your area. i purchased my rav that way. i sent out 5 request for quotes, 4 responded (all lower than MSRP) and 1 phone call. 2 had really good quotes. the first time i met my internet sales manager was the day i signed the papers. don't get too discouraged, i dont think it's a scam at all.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I forgot to mention that toyota.com emailed me a survey form asking if a local dealer had contacted me.

L

·
0 Posts
RAv 4 power...

let's see what your wife can do for me... I submitted my info and I'll be waiting for her call

A

·
0 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
... After configuring my vehicle, my quote replies from each particpating dealer was an invitation to visit the dealership....
Here in central Jersey, I had the same exact experience. Of about nine dealerships, only two actually gave me a quote through e-mail or phone. And thanks to having shared my contact information, I now have the pleasure of getting e-mails and calls from all of them a full month after I actually bought my RAV4 from a local dealer. Some are even contacting me with quotes on models (2WD RAV4, Camry, etc.) I never even asked about. In trying to save some time in the buying process, I wound up wasting time. And I have some new "friends" calling me every few days trying to sell me a car on top of it. :roll:

B

·
0 Posts
Hello!

I am Rav4Power's wife. I will be glad to help anyone who needs it.

Whether it be a great deal on a RAV, or any Toyota... or even questions on how Toyota builds vehicles, etc.

Just my 2 cents on this topic. In my experience, I give quotes - and pretty aggressive ones at that - to people that request them!

My website also has a spot for a Buyer's Shortcut where we can pretty much cut to the chase and do the deal in a short amount of time. It is best to be honest about what you are looking for.

Keep your eyes peeled. In the next few days I will post some special 06 RAV4 pricing just for Rav4World members. More details will follow... :wink:

D

·
0 Posts
Hey, Toyota.com is what really works, and it did for me, but only with dealers that have online sales manager or saleperson, thouse who does not have internet sales want you to come in and manager wount even talk to you, he tells you to talk to salesman, but that why I dont want to deal with sales man. I requested 6 dealers quetes and got back only 3, plus 1 phone call quete, 1 never respond, and 1 want me come in for a quete.
Kristi from Basil was really helpfull, Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
The G Man said:
The only thing that these online quote does is to get you in touch with the internet manager. To get a real quote, you need to call him or her up or go see them in person. Most of the time, you need to show that you are real serious about buying a car before they will talk real numbers with you.

Good Luck
I went online and requested a quote on my Limited from a dealers web site. He sent me an email with a RAV4 he had that closest matched what I wanted with all the options itemized and the quote in large plain text. I called him up told him I was coming to get it. Drove an hour to pick it up, took one look, said write it up. I was in and out in under 2 hours with my Limited. I think if you go to dealers website under internet sells you can get and honest to gooness, no haggle quote. :D

R

·
0 Posts
I believe that dealers should use their own websites for their sales "approaches" and not the ones that other people are paying for. I'm appalled, seriously. Am I wrong on this?

G

·
0 Posts
I have to say, be persistent. I'm hammering two dealerships that quoted me online against each other (one local, who I really want to buy from and one out fo town) and the price keeps dropping. Just be patient. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
I used every online pricing resource I could think up and went to the dealership armed with printouts of my data to commence the haggling process. The salesman primarily dealt with Internet sales, so he knew where to look and followed along, even when I was adding dealer options.

Consumer Reports
Edmunds
Kelley Blue Book
Competing Dealers' Prices

I found the numbers invaluable! 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts