Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So, I'm fixing up this 08 I4 for my brother. Replaced spark plugs, valve cover gasket, PCV, struts, clean TB/MAF, inner/outer tie rods, pads, and rotors. Had the dealership fix 7 recalls for me as well. I haven't started the car in a long time, since I'm still working on it and need to swap out the rear shocks, but those are a PITA. Fast forward today on my drive home I blew out two tires on my Audi. Figured no big deal, I'll bolt the Rav4 back up and drive that for a few days. I've now noticed though that the VSC light stays on and will not go away. The only other lights illuminated are the TPMS and broken bulb. Now, I did change the tie rods and need an alignment big time, since the steering wheel is completely off-center. Does the VSC look at the steering angle in anyway? I haven't tried to pull codes yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Yes, steering angle is a major factor in VSC as the sensors are comparing the direction the car is moving to the direction it's being steered.

On the alignment: I've done tie rod adjustments on many many cars using the sight-along-the-tires method, essentially the "string" method w/o the string. In fact I have the steering wheels purposely offset on my F-250s for more comfort on my long trips.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
There is a steering angle sensor just behind the wheel that is an integral part of the VSC system. That sensor is sending confusing data to the VSC computer.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Just saying thanks for the responses and an alignment with steering wheel correction fixed my issue.
Really appreciate your reporting the results. So many times we never hear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, thanks for reporting the fix! I too have seen that light on and it has gone away each time by itself. So, I don't even know why it ever came on. Anyway, agreed, thanks for results!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts