Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this an easy task? I need to do this tomorrow to take some pictures of the inside, to see if it can be reflashed. Has anyone done this for any reason? I have not even looked into this yet but will sometime tomorrow after work. Just trying to do some homework before taking on this task. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I wouldn't do that. The unit is probably sealed and restoring the seal is difficult.
Best if you could check against the part and serial numbers.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't do that. The unit is probably sealed and restoring the seal is difficult.
Best if you could check against the part and serial numbers.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Yeah, I have it out of the car now and was working slowly to pry it apart. It's not easy. I did take a clearer picture of the part number. Just for reference purposes, the part number for the 2010 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4X4 is 89661-42G20. There is another number beneath it that reads 275300-4523 12V DENSO. Made in Japan

Getting back with R9K and hoping this information is sufficient enough to know if it can be reflashed.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Best of luck Myxalplyx.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Is it necessary to open the ECU to determine whether it can be reflashed? In any event let us know how it all works out.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Agreed! You do have a spare, right?

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
um.......spare?
Yep, that's the smart move whenever trying something experimental especially on and electronic part as critical as the engine ECU. One mistake and the car is parked w/o a spare.
Before I started trying to modify my 4WD ECU to keep it locked above 25 mph I found one available on eBay in case I let the smoke out of the original.

Reactions: Myxalplyx

·
Registered
86 Posts
wow , definitely tell this site is not full of hot rodders.....was the ECU sealed or what ? I know you ordered a spare ECU . just wondered. ive been in a few ECUs . they were not glued together. I believe they were all screwed together but anyhow.

I have chipped quite a few cars. I chipped my 90 300zx . I had to remove the ECU and take out old chip and install a chip holder to hold the flashed chip that was done by person who did flashing.

I chipped my 5.0 Cobra and also my 5.0 Thunderbird. both benefited nicely from a modified program.

I cant see why these couldnt be reflashed. It would be nice to have the power and maybe firmmer shifting. Ive been wanting to do this a while. not much out there.

Im also following that other post

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow , definitely tell this site is not full of hot rodders.....was the ECU sealed or what ? I know you ordered a spare ECU . just wondered. ive been in a few ECUs . they were not glued together. I believe they were all screwed together but anyhow.
Nope! Not a hot rodder. I could learn a lot from you. The ECU is held together with screws. I tried to pry it open but felt a good deal of resistance and thought I would see what looked like a white sealant of some sort so didn't want to take a chance.

So, since we have options are you going to take a chance on this and do some modifications? What do you have in mind? Interested in knowing what kind of intake, exhaust, ect you will be making for your vehicle. Thanks in advance!

Actually, how much horsepower do you think we can make with an intake? An exhaust?

·
Registered
86 Posts
lol...I wouldnt think I am going to teach anyone but then again it appears nobody here has done much more than cosmetic.

from experience of modding a dozen cars ranging from RX7's to Ford SHO and CObras ...I would think there is no reason we can update the fuel/ air maps just like they do on every other cool car .

It doesnt have to make a negative effect necessarily if adjustments are made to the fuel/air maps. It may actually make better use of the fuel it has while giving more useable power. I dont know but I am almost positive we can get 15-20 real HP with a real tune and it can make a huge difference.

I know my 300zx with a chip was faster than my modified cobra until I went to work on it and it really shouldnt have been any contest. the Cobra should have walked over the ZX.

If the guy in PR can reflash the ECU then I am in for doing that. I dont know if I will do an intake . I have found that using stock box is pretty adequate unless you are talking bad angles and no air supply. I have a K&N equivalent in my car now but no oil on it. no worry about gunk on my MAF.

it all just depends on that guy. im not sure how he is going to make these changes without a car ..but just the ECU ...that is intriguing to me for sure.

I am guessing he is going to look at the current program and see where the weak spots are and make changes. I am sure these ECU is programmed for granny going to the grocery store . these motors are so strong that im sure they detuned them so that the power didnt scare the mess out of the old ladies and soccer moms that bought them.

If it were up to me I would have a 6 speed in it with a reprogrammed computer and a turbo. but that would require more than I paid for the car.

I am just looking to do what I normally do with all my cars. that is to take what is there and improve it to do the same job with less effort . more power more efficient tune means less strain on entire system.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol...I wouldnt think I am going to teach anyone but then again it appears nobody here has done much more than cosmetic.

from experience of modding a dozen cars ranging from RX7's to Ford SHO and CObras ...I would think there is no reason we can update the fuel/ air maps just like they do on every other cool car .

It doesnt have to make a negative effect necessarily if adjustments are made to the fuel/air maps. It may actually make better use of the fuel it has while giving more useable power. I dont know but I am almost positive we can get 15-20 real HP with a real tune and it can make a huge difference.
Wow....we can gain 15-20 real HP just from a tune? That's amazing! Let us know what you come up with. You should go with one of the tuners that say they can possibly do this. So you have a V6 RAV4? What are you planning on doing to it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts