Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is you Opinion of the Spare Tire on the Rear Door of the 2006 Rav4 ?

I thing the new Rav4 would look better WITHOUT the Spare on the rear door . :shock:

D

·
0 Posts
I think the whole backend is cobbled up. From the weird back side glass to the spare tire is a design joke. Nothing flows properly and the spare tire is too high ( I guess it had to be because Toyota decided to give this rav a rear bumper. 4.2 model looked much cleaner.

S

·
0 Posts
You mean like this :-

In Europe when the new RAV4 is launched the top of range model RAV4 X model has no rear spare tire. The RAV4 X model has run flat tires so no need for rear spare.

Mind you I would rather the option for a V6 engine RAV4 in Europe than having no rear spare tire on the rear cargo door.

M

·
0 Posts
Hope it would go away!

I'd really hoped the rear mounted spare would go away with the next generation. I presently drive a 4-Runner and am looking for a little better mileage. I think the rear spares look ugly and really if hit it causes more damage to the vehicle when hit in the rear. I know theside opening is imbedded in the RAV but I'd sure like to have a rear hatch like my 4-runner with a lift up gate and a power rear window!!

Of course also not having a manual transmission option is also not helping me decide. I've driven a manual since I learned to drive in 1970 and don't want to get forced into a automatic by anyones choice but mine!!

Maybe the next generation CRV (or small Accura) will dump the rear mounted spare and keep a manual transmission.

·
Registered
179 Posts
rear spare alternatives

What are the alternatives to a rear-mounted spare? Putting the spare inside the car? maybe only if it were a donut and placed where the 3rd row seats would fold into. Can't have a full-size spare inside. Or how about underneath the car? NO THANKS, the last thing I want is to go crawling under the car in a storm to get to the spare when I have a flat.

M

·
0 Posts
Use of spare

When us the last time you actually used a spare tire? It's never been on the road on my 4-Runner or the Tacoma before it. Today' tire are far superior to those of the past and flats are rare. For me under the back is fine as is a donut under the rear deck (Who wants a 3rd row in a vehicle this small? get a highlander or 4 runner for that).

Best alternative is the run flat option available in Europe!!!

E

·
0 Posts
Rav4 just must have a spare tire on the rear door. Rav4 is not that high to mount it under the car and very small for inside mount. And it doesn't looks that cool without the mount. :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the donut would have been better it would have given the vehicle a more finished and complete look in the rear.

·
Registered
179 Posts
donut

Yes donut is probably best; need for a spare is rare, and then the donut is fine. Also, biggest problem with the spare on the back is if you get a small bump from the rear (or you back in to something), you just trashed the entire rear door, big bucks to fix that.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Re: rear spare alternatives

jabba2000 said:
What are the alternatives to a rear-mounted spare? Putting the spare inside the car? maybe only if it were a donut and placed where the 3rd row seats would fold into. Can't have a full-size spare inside. Or how about underneath the car? NO THANKS, the last thing I want is to go crawling under the car in a storm to get to the spare when I have a flat.
Under the floor but accessible from inside. Like the Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Re: Hope it would go away!

msradell said:
I know theside opening is imbedded in the RAV but I'd sure like to have a rear hatch like my 4-runner with a lift up gate and a power rear window!!
I wish they did this on the new Rav. No need to get rid of the spare tire to be able to open the back window. This is the new CR-V. I don't like this car but i like this feature and i wish i was able to open that window in my car :p.

I think the rear lights are waaaaaay too much, don't you think? They go almost to the middle of the spare tire :shock:.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe Toyota thinks it makes them more masculine to hang the tire on the door? Have not used mine yet but imagine the accessibility will offset the ugly issue (and the bike rack clearance issue). For my tastes the real concern is the side-hinged doors; almost went with a Honda just to avoid them. Someday Toyota will join the rest of the world and hinge their rear doors at the top so you can load from either side and keep some of the rain off while doing so. Or maybe a split door with a fold-down tailgate (handle for the short-distance hauling of long stuff). When they do they should tuck the spare tire inside, where they stay clean and you don't have to worry about getting on hands and knees to retrieve them from underneath (using a lowering mechanism that rusts solid sooner or later). Yes, you give up some storage space, but once you deal with an under-car spare that is hung up, you will gladly live with less storage space.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The no-third-row storage space and full-sized spare are among the points that sold me on the RAV. I despise donuts. Having a home for jumpers, tools and emergency supplies, while retaining the full interior space in its uncluttered glory is a huge plus in my book. I may end up sticking an amp and/or sub in there, either way, I have the option.

A split gate and top hinged glass would be a good compromise though. They could then have left and right handed versions, with a long section carrying the spare, and a short door on the curb side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A split gate and top hinged glass would be a good compromise though. They could then have left and right handed versions, with a long section carrying the spare, and a short door on the curb side.
Amen. I'm not a fan of the side-hinge or the full spare but I'd be happy with the spare as long as it hinged vertically. When I buy a RAV, it'll be the Sport Appearance, but only bc it's the only option that reduces my dislikes. Since it only hinges horizontally to accommodate the spare, they should have changed the hinges too (still needs too much room to open sideways). A dual split is genius! Hopefully you work at Toyota! ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
The spare on the rear door looks girly to me. My next move is to purchase the rear door without the spare. The only other option is to have a fifth aftermarket wheel on the back of the truck but in an urban area like DC thats not a good move...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts