Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a set of wheels for my 2005 RAV4 S. I don't really want to "thug it up" a lot (these are 17's), but wanted everyone's opinion on these;

e-bay auction

While I really suck at photoshop, here's what I figure they might look like when / if I get them.

Now, my question is : too much?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slayer said:
I think it looks fine. Might've been too much if it was chrome but with that silver finish it'll look alright.
I tried to get the "chrome" look out of my image (blatantly ripped off from tirerack.com and added the rim from the e-bay picture) but as I said, I really have no photoshop claims to fame.

Plus 17's really aren't that big. I upgraded my rims to 17's awhile back and to me, they don't look much bigger than when I had stock 16's.
I love the picture of your car, but question: How much does the ride and/or mileage differ --if at all-- between 16" and 17" rims?

Wayne

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wayne said:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a set of wheels for my 2005 RAV4 S. I don't really want to "thug it up" a lot (these are 17's), but wanted everyone's opinion on these;
Also... is a 40mm offset too much?

Wayne

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hi Wayne, I installed a set of 18’s just a couple of months back.

If you are going with 235 / 55 / 17 than the overall diameter is slightly bigger than stock but no big deal. Travelling at 60 mph your speedometer will show 59.8.

As for the ride it will be slightly harder with a Good All Season but more so with a stiff high performance Summer Tire.
The gas mileage should not differ too much unless your second set of Rims/tires that are much heavier or lighter than what you have now.
My OEM Rims / Tires are around 50 lbs. and my Enkei 18’s / tires are around 60 lbs. so I have added 40 lbs. weight to my Rav.
I wish it were the other way around because it is ideal to have heavier wheel weight for the winter and lighter for the summer.

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
For me, going from 16's to 17's didn't really make a difference in gas consumption, handling or performance. I kept the overall tire and wheel size as close to oem as possible with going from 235/60-16 to 235/55-17 all season performance Pirelli P Zero Nero tires. Tires made more of a difference in cornering as it hugs the corners better a higher speeds which I need as I regularly go thru some slight mountain passes where I have to keep up my speed or else suffer serious lag trying to get back up to speed after slowing down for some big rig.

As for your offset question, not sure. My new rims are at +42 mm offset. Maybe someone else can chime in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts