Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, I had a totally miserable Thursday evening, a week ago. Long story made very short, I accidentially backed into my RAV on the street, about 1 MPH or so, must have hit it just right (or wrong) damaged the bumper cover, left front fender with related flares and trim piece around the grill.

The two places highly recommended in town came in with quotes withinn 25 dollars of each other, just over $2,300. I am sick with this, there is a lot to like about the RAV, good looking, nice handling, fairly comfortable.

However, I have driven the RAV quite a bit in the last 2 months, both local trips and one distance trip and I've confirmed one thing I suspected for some time. Even with the driver's seat all the way back, I don't seem to have enough room for my right leg to be comfortable, and after driving a fair amount, my knee hurts, now all the time. I only get a portion of my foot on the brake pedel because I have to pull my leg back so far

I am moderatley tall, 6 foot, but I feel this is not excessive. Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so how did you deal with it?

Second, with this it has gotten me thinking, which is dangerous, of course. Is the 2006 better in this regard, it is some distance to the dealership, and I really hate going to look, I'd rather get some outside opinions first.

If the 2006 is better in this regard, I will consider selling the 05 to my girlfriend, but I've only done a cursory study of priceing. I don't really want to go to a larger vehicle, I like my RAV, sporty looks, otherwise fairly comfortable, and usually a bigger vehicle means poorer gas mileage.

Any thoughts or comments? I also posted this in the 4.2 forums

TIA
Ken

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey Ken, another Ken here...

Sorry to hear about your mishap. That sucks!

I can relate to your comments regarding the legroom. We leased a new Corolla back in 2003 and the legroom was terrible. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and for some reason, I didn't clue into this during our test drives.

As time went on, the legroom really started getting to me. I was constantly squirming in the seat to try and get comfortable. I went a purchased half a dozen different seat cushions, wedges etc. but they didn't help.

I then took the car around to various body shop and customizing places. I asked them if they could modify/replace the seat or track to allow it to go back further. None of them would touch it due to the liability factor and air bag sensors tied into the seat etc.

I started realising that a lot of reviews on the Corolla mention an "akward driving position". Man was that the truth!

Finally, I got fed up and had someone else take over my lease. The Corolla is gone.

Our other vehicle is a 2002 Highlander Limited V6 and I fit very well in it. So we went looking for another vehicle to replace the Corolla. I took a Camry out for a drive and I found it a good fit legroom wise, but the headroom wasn't great! Grrrr...

Then I took the new RAV out and found it comforatble. Sure I could use a bit more legroom, but it is not nearly as bad as the Corolla was. The main thing the RAV has that Corolla didn't is the vertical adjustment for the front of the seat. I always have it up as high as it goes and it supports under my thighs which helps greatly (Highlander has it too).

I just don't understand though why Toyota just doesn't make their seats travel back 1 or 2 more clicks. Thats all it would take to make us 6 footers very comfortable. I had a VW Jetta a few years ago and I actually had to bring the seat forward 2 clicks for my liking!

Ken

S

·
0 Posts
Ken

I have a 2006 Limited and I am 6'0 and I don't even have my seat all the way back. With it all the way back I feel like I am reaching for the steering wheel, and I have it telescoped all the way out. With that being said, I have mentioned to my wife that anyone over 6'2 or someone with really long legs would probably be a little cramped on leg room. In the 06 they put the premium on rear seat leg room, of which there is an abundance.:D

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Yes, lots of rear seat legroom, that's what helped us make up our decision to purchase the RAV (that and I like the V6 :twisted: ).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2006 Limited and I am 6'0 and I don't even have my seat all the way back. With it all the way back I feel like I am reaching for the steering wheel, and I have it telescoped all the way out. With that being said, I have mentioned to my wife that anyone over 6'2 or someone with really long legs would probably be a little cramped on leg room. In the 06 they put the premium on rear seat leg room, of which there is an abundance.:D
That was one thing I really like about my 05 was the feel of the wheel close enough to be comfortable, but not too close. But I know my right knee is acting up from the cramped position I am in. Yes the seat is all the way back, it is nice to have more leg room in the back, the family would like it, but I also am looking for my needs too! :)

I am going to try and test a 06 at some point, thanks for the opinions!

Ken

B

·
0 Posts
Ken,

I guess alot of us hear your pain. However, overall height is just a piece of the equation. What we are really talking about here is leg length. Some of us can be 6' tall but have shorter legs than the guy next to us who is also 6' feet tall. However, his legs are longer and his torso is shorter.

Truly the only way to find out is for you to sit in the car and test drive it..

Best of Luck,

Becks

L

·
0 Posts
I am 5'7" and have the seat as far back as it goes -- nothing new here as I have long arms and legs. Comfortable so far. My husband is 6' and is comfortable. Can't pump the seat up though as we have the moon roof.

We've only had the car two days so I'm still figuring it out. Quite a change from a standard compact car!

R

·
0 Posts
If you are prone to leg length problems...why look at this vehicle?
There are plenty of bigger alternatives out there. I am a fan of the RAV. But, sounds like you do not need the smallest SUV that Toyota makes. RAV fans need not respond and wax eloquently about their vehicle love at this point. It's not an insult to the RAV!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts