Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again my rav4 peoples, I have been looking into aftermarket wheels, been wanting to get 18in by 8in wide, just a tad bigger than my 17by7.5, any thoughts opinions or suggestions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Suggestion - Check the available clearance between the wheel and strut prior to purchasing. I know an 18" will fit as I have them on my 07 Sport (factory) but they are 18" x 7.5". Not sure how much clearance there is and would hate to see you invest in something that is to wide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suggestion - Check the available clearance between the wheel and strut prior to purchasing. I know an 18" will fit as I have them on my 07 Sport (factory) but they are 18" x 7.5". Not sure how much clearance there is and would hate to see you invest in something that is to wide.

I actually talked to a wholesale guy i know with tire rack about that, and he said i will be good, since i had to put my specific vehicle in, he told me i wouldnt even have been shown an option that wouldnt fit.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Questions I would have are, why would I want to make that change, and would the results be worth the expense of buying new wheels and tires?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Questions I would have are, why would I want to make that change, and would the results be worth the expense of buying new wheels and tires?
Well I already need new tires for the winter, and my brother has cheap steels on his rav that are rusting, so i was thinking about giving mine to him.. and i tow a small boat so i figure itd be nice to be just a tad higher from the road.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
If you look at most any tire manufacture's specs, you'll likely see the rim width range for a 235/55R18 tire to be 6½"-8½". Factory Rav4 235//55R18 tires come on 7½ rims, so 8" wide rims are well within a usable range as long as other specs are within OEM parameters. Use the tire rack site to see what fits.

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

·
Registered
77 Posts
Width of the wheel is important, but equally important is the offset. With the right offset, you should be able to fit a wider wheel. There is plenty of room in the fenders so finding wheels with the right offset will be important.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts