Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo, All, :)

We've been talking about a few nav HUs in the Eclipse thread, but my searching has turned up some interesting info. Here are the main nav units I know of:

Pioneer AVIC-N1
Pioneer AVIC-N2
Pioneer AVIC-D1 (yes, a double-DIN unit!)
Eclipse AVN2494
Eclipse AVN5495
Eclipse AVN5435
Toyota OEM (2005 Camry)

I know there are others out there, but they seem to be way out of my price range (Alpine, Kenwood, etc.).

How do people feel about these units? I know the aVIC-N2/D1 and AVN54?5 are just now coming out...

---Jason

·
Registered
682 Posts
I haven't had any experience with the Pioneer or Eclipse ones you mentioned but we have the OEM Toyota DVD sat nav in our 2003 LandCruiser and so far it's been great. If you want OEM looks then this is the one to go for. I have a Navman PiN PDA/sat nav combo in my RAV which is a lot cheaper but obviously doesn't have the all the features of the others.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yo, Mohit, :)

Mohit said:
I haven't had any experience with the Pioneer or Eclipse ones you mentioned but we have the OEM Toyota DVD sat nav in our 2003 LandCruiser and so far it's been great. If you want OEM looks then this is the one to go for.
How is this unit on features? And how did you get it? I don't know much about it - I didn't even know you could get the OEM unit separately until a few days ago.

Oh, and how is the radio reception? I've been bellyaching about my reception with the stock 2005 6-spkr radio...

---Jason

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i sell the avic n1 at my work and its a pretty good unit...u can hook up ur spedo and tach to it and it will display on the unit. u can also purchase a camera to enable rear back up view on the screen. its supposed to have one of the best tuners in it as well but im not sure if it will improve ur recpetion. we have it at work for $1799.99 right now. i am a fan of alpine though. we installed this alpine in dash dvd w/o nav (but i think u can upgrade it) and the touch screen was incredible. it had pulse touch and when u touched the screen it felt as if u were actually pressing buttons. it also allowed u to touch the screen for menu options on every dvd screen display instead of scrolling up and down with arrow keys on unit and remote - but yes alpine is spendy.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Jason, the Toyota DVD sat nav came standard in our 100 series LandCruiser. Over here you can buy it separately for almost any Toyota at around AU$4000. I've even seen it installed in an older 80 series LandCruiser.

The radio reception is fantastic...no problems at all but this could be due to the bigger and better antenna on the LandCruiser?

As for features all it has is an AM/FM radio and a cassette and CD slot behind the motorised flip down LCD screen. It also came standard with a 6 CD stacker under the driver's seat. The DVD sat nav drive lives under the front passenger's seat.

The unit has good features...full touch screen operation, clear voice instructions, vehicle maintenance log and reminders, calendar and reminder memos, hidden diagnostic menu, etc.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yo, Jen, :)

jen said:
i sell the avic n1 at my work and its a pretty good unit...u can hook up ur spedo and tach to it and it will display on the unit. u can also purchase a camera to enable rear back up view on the screen. its supposed to have one of the best tuners in it as well but im not sure if it will improve ur recpetion. we have it at work for $1799.99 right now.
Have you sold or installed any of the "voice command pack" units? (CD-VC1, here.) I've seen a number of these up for auction on eBay, which makes me a little nervous...

Do they actually work??

jen said:
i am a fan of alpine though. we installed this alpine in dash dvd w/o nav (but i think u can upgrade it) and the touch screen was incredible. it had pulse touch and when u touched the screen it felt as if u were actually pressing buttons. it also allowed u to touch the screen for menu options on every dvd screen display instead of scrolling up and down with arrow keys on unit and remote - but yes alpine is spendy.
Slick! Out of my (or my wife's, to be precise) range...

Thanks for the info,

---Jason

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you sold or installed any of the "voice command pack" units? (CD-VC1, here.) I've seen a number of these up for auction on eBay, which makes me a little nervous...
I have an Pioneer Avic-n1 ITS GREAT. The navigation view is very clear and if you bring it to a BIG CITY ie: San Fran, LA it would even show details of the buildings. I have the CD-VC1, and the remote that comes with it SUCKS !!!! it hardy able to send the signal to the AVIC -n1. The Mic is cool you can say like i wanna goto a "HOTEL" RESTURANT" DISC- to play cd RADIO for radio" ZOOM IN " all these cool things. OR "RETURN HOME" Very cool for $30.00 on ebay. I bought it there.

Check it out on my car domain
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ron8818 :D

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone got their Rav4 hooked up with Eclipse AVN5435 / AVN5495? I'm interested in this model but would like to know how it would look like before getting one...

I know that the Rav4 slot is 8" by 4" but the Eclipse is only 7" by 4"... 1 inch different...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently installed a new Garmin c330 GPS Navigation Unit on my RAV4. It is programmed with all the roads of North America and provides graphic (map), voice, and text directions to anywhere (intersections, airports, addresses, stores, restaurants, hotels, your own stored locations, etc.). The unit is very user friendly and you can become fully operational within a few minutes.

The Garmin c330 took about 3 minutes to install. It has two connections to the car: a suction cup assembly to fit to the windshield and a 12V electric line to the cigarette lighter. There are also connections and cables for your PC (for updating of software) and external antenna (if mounted away from the windshield). The head unit (GPS with built-in antenna) can easily be removed in about 5 seconds for security or to program routes from within you home. It has a lithium-ion battery for operation when not connected to the car's 12VDC. Because of its portability, you can carry it on trips to use on rental cars or easily use it on other cars that you may own.

The unit is listed for around $950 (garmin.com) but can be purchased much cheaper from internet websites (such as BuyDig.com) where I purchased mine for around $650

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a similar PDA / GPS navigation setup. I use the HP ipaq 4100 series and Tomtom GPS Bluetooth. I opted for the bluetooth wireless connection so I don't have to deal with wire clutter.

The GPS unit is strong in receiving the signals, it once dropped onto the floor and out of sight while I was on the highway and it didn't even stutter.

When done driving, I take the ipaq with me and use it as a regular PDA. Two in one functionality ;).

All in all plus the car mount, it was just around $500.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Im interested in the tomtom 500, as i dont have a PDA, plus they look very transportable - being the size of a can of pop or thereabouts. I nearly missed a flight once, because i had to pick up 3 people on the way and my sense of direction at 3am was a bit hit and miss!

its about 439 pounds, not cheap - i can get an L lens for that kind of money!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts