Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. On July 1, my wife and I ordered a 2005 RAV4 "L" trim from the dealer with a few additional options. They did not have the color we wanted - everglade metallic - in their stock, so they attempted to trade with another dealer. They tried to get us to take another color, as the dealer was telling us everglade in the "L" is very rare. Anyway they found one some distance away so I asked them to factory order one for us instead. Initially they balked but them relented after I told them I was going to go elsewhere. After 4 weeks, they told me that the car was in status "f" which meant it was in transport- supposedly and that it arrives from Japan on the West Coast (Oregon) and has to be trained across the country to the East Coast where we live. It is supposed to be here in 2 weeks. Are they being straight with me?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kelly for your reply. I was getting concerned that it is near the end of the 2005 model-year and that Toyota would cease making 2005 RAV4s soon. I've read plenty of horror stories on the Internet about new car dealers including, unfortunately, Toyota dealers. One person wrote how a dealer made him wait three months and then told him that they could no longer get him his car because production shut down. He ended up having to get a leftover out of dealer stock in a color he did not particularly care for. However, this dealer we ordered from has a good reputation in our area, so I'll go with this. BTW, this is a very nice site here.

G

·
0 Posts
We certainly hope you get what you want. I can't wait to see the new 2006 RAV4. I can't afford to get one but I do remember when the 2001 model change came about the 2000 models got huge discounts.

Hopefully they're not jerking you around but if they are, you might end up getting a really good deal on a loaded 05 "L" or maybe you'll like the 2006 better.

Has anyone seen the 2006 yet? I would think the auto magazines should be giving us a peak soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm waiting for a special order too

I have had an amazing experience trying to get the exact Rav4 that I wanted. I went to my local dealer and they stopped calling me when they could not find the car I wanted in the area inventory. I said that I wanted to order one, but they didn't seem to want to wait 90 days for a sale.

I finally found a dealer in a neighboring city that would order it for me. That was 6 weeks ago, halfway through the promised time. I am still nervous because the vehicle is not a standard configuration: 2WD Auto Base model plus the side curtain airbags and daytime runnning lights. Nothing else.

I don't want an 06 if they have made it longer. I don't have room in my garage for a car much longer the 05 RAV4.

Tom in Poway, CA

·
Registered
87 Posts
"Ordering" a Japanese car...

Understand your pain.

We searched high/low for a RAV with the exact equipt we wanted, just like you - no more/no less - as we knew what we wanted/could afford.

Fahghettaboutit. We ended up buying more than we wanted to get what we wanted.

We soon found out that they come in ordered by the "region" or zone, to fit a certain target market, regardless of your need. Period end of story.

Seen the same situation at Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru.

Even the domestics are getting closer to that model these days with their "option pkgs". "You want this feature? Gotta buy the whole Option A pkg to get that" .

Back in the day you could sift thru the a la carte menu and have the domestic car built with your exact options. No more I guess.

Closest I'm aware of to the "ggod ol days" is the way Mini's are ordered over the web and delivered a few months later.

Oh well, good luck and I hope you get close to what you want!

R

·
0 Posts
mr_mr2 said:
Hello everyone. On July 1, my wife and I ordered a 2005 RAV4 "L" trim from the dealer with a few additional options. ............
mr.... I am curious.. Why didn't u wait for the 2006 model year?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife wanted an '05. She has liked this particular second generation of the RAV and after driving one, wanted one. Since the '06's are going to be somewhat "different", we decided to get one now (or should I say, try to get one?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay everyone, here is an update on my ordered 2005 RAV4 in everglade metallic. After calling the dealer every two weeks for the past month, the GM of the dealership finally called me back. He apologized and said the saleslady who sold us our car (and placed the order) left the dealership. Being that this person (GM) is only in his second week on the job himself, he needed a bit of time to figure out what is what. He did some investigating and told me our RAV4 is indeed in transit and will arrive at the dealer sometime between Sept 3-Sept 8. Whew. I'll post when it does (hopefully) arrive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's here! We picked it up tonight. It only took 10 weeks. Guess that's not too bad. Looks very nice. Wife drove it home. Has a much smoother ride and alot quieter than the Subie Forester it replaced. Dealer told us they recommend changing the oil every 3,000 miles or four months. I do not see that as a problem at all. Began reading the manual. Strongly urged the wife to do the same. I'm sure I'll find answers to our questions inside the book.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm glad you had no problems getting your car. I had a difficult time when I tried to order mine. In April I looked into getting a RAV4, but the dealer didn't have what I wanted in stock. So I decided if I was going to order one, I'll make it exactly right. I didn't want a moonroof but did want a L series plus miscellaneous stuff.

12 weeks later, I go to the dealer and still no car. Looks as if it took them a month before they ordered it after I had been in the dealership. They said probably 8 more weeks.... So 6 weeks later, they call and said that the factory built a manual and not an automatic, claiming that it wasn't their mistake.

I'm about to cancel the order and demand my money back, but they asked if they could find a car with all my options and a moonroof, would I take it for the same price. I had them look and they did manage to find one. So I decided to take it, but it was not a reassuring or enjoyable purchase experience.

I've had it for about 2 weeks and just found this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
During the 10 weeks I waited, I spoke with many other Toyota owners, both here in CT and in other states (incl. Cal.) and reached a conclusion that Toyota Dealers, for some reason, do NOT like to factory order cars for customers. Our dealer tried like hell to talk us out of ordering one and waiting for it. She said it would take "forever" and whined like a child. Practically begged us to let her do a dealer locate which we initially did, BUT only if they found one nearby llike within 30 miles or so. If not, then we wanted it ordered or we would get our deposit back and go somewhere else. Well, they did find one like we wanted and swapped with that dealer to get it, even though it had close to 100 miles. Naturally we said to forget it and to place our order, which they did do. I know 10 weeks is a considerable time, however in that time, we kept driving our tradin; put an addition 3,000 miles on it in that 10 weeks. Still got what we agreed to when the car arrived. Best part of course is the car is absolutely terriffic and was worth waiting for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your story pretty much supports my impression that one couldn't "order" a Yoda (or any Jap. car for that matter). They all seem to behave with the "we only get what we get" - take it or leave it attitude. My son waited over 10 weeks for his Mini to arrive, and that is from a company that encourages personalized ordering.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know what is with dealers recently, mine refused to give me a price until I was ready to buy... at one point the wanted the deposit to transfer the car I wanted from another dealer yet still hadn't given me the full price. There reasoning... They didn't want me shopping around.

So I shopped around anyways, I was going to buy it from the next town over when I figured what did I have to lose. Walked in the dealer and told my salesman he pretty much lost his deal but this was his last chance because I was going over to the other dealer to buy it right now unless he agread to my terms. I told him the price I wanted out the door, and I wanted an Alarm system installed in the vehicle for that price, (It didn't have it stock) and the only way he would get him the sale now was if the next works out of his mouth was OK. Well I got it for $100 less then I said I would pay (don't ask me how) and when they called me about my experiance I've told them the full story and how I had one foot out the door already, Dosen't go over to well with Customer Relations people and Managers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally Got It

I special ordered my 05 RAV4 on June 10, 2005. I picked it up on October 25th. I wanted a Basic model with daytime running lights and side curtain airbags. I chronicled my difficulty in finding a dealer that would even take my order in an earlier post in this thread.

The only problem was they would not negotiate at all on the definition of wholesale price. I was offering $1000 over wholesale. They were asking $500 over wholesale.

My Consumer Reports wholesale prices on the vehicle and options were the same as the dealer's. However, they had a $1,000 of additional charges, e.g. advertising, dealer holdback (according to consumer reports this supposed to be included in the wholesale price). They wouldn't budge on the deal.

Special ordering definitely puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to pricing. Fortunately the sales person rescued me from the closing officer's sales pitch for the extended warranty, "special" financing, etc and brought the papers to me to sign.

So far I am extremely pleased with my RAV4. It is replacing a 1993 Honda Del Sol. It is peppier and handles corners better than the
Del Sol. The radio reception is just as bad as it was in the Del Sol so that negative about the RAV4 is not a problem for me. I am anxious to see what kind of mileage I am going to get. The Del Sol has been getting 35 mpg!

Tom Scott
Poway, CA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the Congrats:

This is the car that I got:

2005 RAV4 2WD AT
Color: Titanium Metallic (Silver)
Interior: Dark Charcoal Cloth
Options:
Side Curtain Airbags - (GY)
Daytime Running Lights - (RL)
Keyless Entry - (KE)
VIP RS3200 Plus System (PIO)|2WD AT - (V5)
50 State Emissions - (FE)
Roof Rack - (DR)
Cargo Net (PIO) (Fleet) - (GN)
Towing Receiver Hitch (PIO) (Fleet) - (DH)
Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat (PIO) (Fleet) - (CF)

J

·
0 Posts
Congrats Tom, since we're posting on new Rav4's, I guess I'll just introduce myself here. I just picked up my new Rav4 Sport in Flint Mica on the 26th of October. I looked everywhere for this color and finally found it at Longo Toyota. There were two available, I reserved one and was glad I did because the other one was gone before I could blink my eyes!

The following specs are below:

2005 Rav4 Sport 2WD AT
Color: Flint Mica
Interior: Charcoal
Options:
Sport Package
Wheels: 7JJ Unique 5 Spoke Alloy
Rear Privacy Glass
Rear Spoiler
Electric Glass Panel Sun Roof
3-Button Keyless Entry w/Confirmation Tone
Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat (5-Piece Set)