Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
On Order: 2021 RAV4 XSE Hybrid
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of what I hope will be many posts as a RAV4 owner.

Really like this vehicle and have one on order currently: Blueprint XSE with Weather and Premium Audio, cross bars. My local dealer is great. Unfortunately we are unable to order the Tow Hitch Option. Contacted Toyota USA and they have no ETA on when this will be available. Anyone else encountering this issue or have any insight as to when the tow hitch will be available for the 2021?

This is disappointing for a few reasons.

1. On the website for 2021 RAV4 Hybrid XSE it is listed as an option; both on the "Spec Comparison Page" (comparing trim levels) and under "Build your Toyota" function.
2. The description for the option indicates: "Helps accommodate the RAV4 maximum tow rating.....Optimized placement provides precise drop/rise to maintain vehicle departure angle..." This is why I would like to order the option from the factory, the hitch is integrated into the bumper. Aftermarket would be located below the bumper.
3. Among the many reasons I am choosing a RAV4 over the CRV is that it has the option in the first place. CRV has no tow rating and no after market hitch can be added.
4. No ETA on when this will be available? I understand there must be a supply issue or tooling issue at the plant, but toyota.com has it as an option and on the spec page and potential buyers have communication from Toyota in order to inform their purchase decision?

Yes, I realize the RAV4 Hybrid is in demand and buyers have no leverage. My sales guy did not even ask for a deposit..."I can sell it either way, no worries". This is bugging me though, because it is listed on the specs page and build page at toyota.com and most media outlets report "Tow Capacity: 1,500 lbs".

I am contemplating asking my dealer to meet me half way if and when a tow hitch becomes available for the 2021.....I'll purchase hitch and wiring, pay for install and 50% of the new bumper. I am anticipating they will advise me to either take delivery as is or wait a few more months.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think some folk have had this installed at the dealer, not sure why your dealer cannot do it. (I'm sure they will pipe up.) Seems odd. In fact, someone just posted the official instructions for installing the factory tow hitch.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The tow rating for the hybrid is 1750LBs with trailer brakes and 150lb tongue weight.

The OEM hitch is higher than aftermarket and is a dealer installed item. I assume there have been no changes in for the hitch from the 2019-2020 model to the 2021 model but that would need to be confirmed.

The Rav4 Prime has a higher tow rating,

Check BAM Wholesalers for the OEM hitch

Check this thread for more info

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I’m ok having this added by the/a dealer at a later date. The issue is I want the bumper with the notch that allows for the hitch to be installed as shown on Toyota.com.
Toyota is saying that since we are not ordering a hitch, it will have a standard bumper with no notch.

thoughts? Looking like I should just wait until my dealer is able to “order as an option”.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think some folk have had this installed at the dealer, not sure why your dealer cannot do it. (I'm sure they will pipe up.) Seems odd. In fact, someone just posted the official instructions for installing the factory tow hitch.
thanks rsl, agreed, Toyota.com customer care said it’s a dealer install item, my dealer saying they can not even order the parts AND advising me that my vehicle will come with a standard bumper (no notch for hitch) because of the fact they are unable to select hitch option on my build order.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Find another dealer who will install the OEM hitch or order it yourself and find someone to install if you are not able to. There is a video or two that show the installation of the OEM hitch and it is able to be installed by a backyard mechanic or any trailer place can do this for you. Also, if you are planning on pulling a trailer over 1000Lbs, you will need the 7 pin connector. Do a search here as there are about 5 threads on the OEM hitch.

Thank you for the replies. I’m ok having this added by the/a dealer at a later date. The issue is I want the bumper with the notch that allows for the hitch to be installed as shown on Toyota.com.
Toyota is saying that since we are not ordering a hitch, it will have a standard bumper with no notch.

thoughts? Looking like I should just wait until my dealer is able to “order as an option”.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tow rating for the hybrid is 1750LBs with trailer brakes and 150lb tongue weight.

The OEM hitch is higher than aftermarket and is a dealer installed item. I assume there have been no changes in for the hitch from the 2019-2020 model to the 2021 model but that would need to be confirmed.

The Rav4 Prime has a higher tow rating,

Check BAM Wholesalers for the OEM hitch

Check this thread for more info
Thanks Variman, looks like there is an option to use OEM parts and open up the stock bumper. 👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
285 Posts
As I suspected, they’ll just cut a hole in your bumper to install. No special bumpers with a “notch” from the factory ; )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I suspected, they’ll just cut a hole in your bumper to install. No special bumpers with a “notch” from the factory ; )
right, this was my main hang up. the tow hitch option photo on Toyota.com looks like it’s a specific bumper with a notch in the bumper, I was thinking there were 2 bumpers. Well my sales person actually pontificated there were 2 bumpers as well.

if there’s only the one bumper and a dealer install hitch where the dealer opens/notches the bumper to get the proper clearance then we are golden.

I can take delivery next month then have my dealer install hitch or find a dealer that will.
Very excited about this vehicle, the build is supposed to start 10/27

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. Rav4world rocks!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package
88 Posts
Yeah just 1 bumper. I installed the OEM hitch myself in a parking garage. It’s an intimidating install (cutting a big hole in the bumper of your brand new car) but turned out the same as if Toyota installed it. If you’re willing to fork over a lot of money, the dealer can definitely install it anytime after you purchase the vehicle. But the labor greatly outweighs the cost of the parts on this one, so I just purchased the hitch from Bam Wholesale and installed myself. Came with directions and all required hardware. But yeah, it’s obviously much easier if you get it from the factory with the hitch, in which case you basically just pay for the part.

·
Registered
Waiting for an XLE Hybrid 2021
43 Posts
But yeah, it’s obviously much easier if you get it from the factory with the hitch, in which case you basically just pay for the part.
Do I understand correctly that for US-models, there is a factory option for the hitch? As opposed to a dealer add-on?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do I understand correctly that for US-models, there is a factory option for the hitch? As opposed to a dealer add-on?
Oh, I’m not sure. But if you, e.g., order one from Toyota’s website and add the hitch there, you of course just pay for the part.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Including the wiring harness for the lights?
No you have to order that separately. Also, idk if it’s been mentioned in other threads, but the template for the cutout on the bumper provided in the directions is the correct size, but the dimensions listed on mine were absolutely incorrect. So if you align the template on the bumper as specified, it’ll be fine, but if you try to measure it out and draw it on based on the dimensions given, it’ll be way off.
I’m sure someone has posted a pdf of the directions somewhere on here; take a look to see what I’m talking about (and to see all the tools, etc. you’ll need). There’s also a pretty good video on YouTube by Morozov Automotive.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
I’m sure someone has posted a pdf of the directions somewhere on here; take a look to see what I’m talking about (and to see all the tools, etc. you’ll need). There’s also a pretty good video on YouTube by Morozov Automotive.
The OEM hitch installation .pdf was posted yesterday in this thread, post #7.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The OEM hitch installation .pdf was posted yesterday in this thread, post #7.
Oh, heh, duh. Yeah that 15 mm dimension on page 17 is not even remotely correct. It’s closer to ~40 mm. Idk, maybe it was supposed to be 1.5” and they wrote down 15 mm instead. Not sure how that would happen when everything else is metric though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts