1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm considering ordering a part from the US as well but am also concerned about duty, brokerage fees, etc. The consensus on other forums where this topic has come up seems to be that at all costs, avoid having the US store ship the part to Canada by UPS. Apparently UPS's brokerage fees are the highest. If they insist on courier service, try Fedex, or the cheapest (although slowest) method of shipment is just plain US Postal Service (USPS).

Items shipped by USPS are brokered through customs by Canada Post and the fee is generally only $5. Duty (up to 18%) is charged if the part is made outside North America, and then there's GST/PST/HST depending on where you are.

So the cost can add up fast, but if you really want the item and you're sure it's impossible to find here, you have to pay up.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, those taxes/duties are a pain in the wallet... Yeah, as far as sending to Canada, send it USPS Priority Mail. It's the best way to go. I got family in Toronto (where I was born), and that's what they say about it. Hope this helps... :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Marfer

I actually purchased the exact cargo cover from brandsport.
It's a softcover, and works nicely.
I can't remember what the taxes were like, but I couldn't find this in Canada, and like someone had mentioned - if you want the part, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I say go for it!

·
Registered
302 Posts
If your package is small enough , use the mail and not ANY courier !
With all the transactions I have had with purchses from the States , 85% of items shipped by REGULAR mail does not get nailed for extra charges .
This is easier when dealing with a private party but might be harder to accomplish when buying from a retail company as many of them have contracts with various couriers and won't use the mail .
Make sure you ask them if they can mail it .
Don't use Expidited or Express Mail , just plain old letter or Parcel Post .
The only draw back is there is no tracking , it's slower and insurance is extra .
It all depends on how much of a hurry you are and how high your risk factor is .

I've had more good experiences with the Postal system and a few too many bad ones with the couriers (paying more in extra charges then what I did for the item :roll: ) .

All of these factors must be factored in if you are just trying to get something cheaper .
If you are trying to get something from the States that is not available in Can. then the TOTAL costs is your cost of exclusivtivity .

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know about you guys, but I live about 30 min. from the US border, so I usually just get stuff shipped to a package company on the US side and pick it up myself. Then I pay any duties and taxes, but no excessive brokerage fees. The package co. charges $3 US per package.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I will try to get Brandsport to ship USPS. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got an invoice from UPS.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The "extra" charges came just shy of $36 CDN.

Well if you really want it, I can tell you it's worth it. Keep in mind though the cargo sheet (covering the area) is vinyl. So if you want it, you're gonna be paying roughly 90-100 CDN.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Use FedEX
UPS is the worst!
Usually USPS would be my first choice, but they don't usually accept large parcel.

By the way, I'm new here and I'm from Calgary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts