Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm super excited I just bought my first RAV4 - 2006 Limited.
However I have bit of dilemma with the keys. I got two keys: one original master and one aftermarket copy. The master will open the doors - the remote works, but it will not start. When I put it in ignition the security light keeps blinking and if I try to start it will crank but no start. Clearly the transponder chip is not working correctly. The copy key will start the car but won't open the door, does not have remote and does not unlock the door manually either. I would love to get the original key fixed without leaving fortune at the dealer. I tried couple different sequences for Toyota key self-reprogramming but to no effect.
Can the copy key even be used to reprogram the master?
If the chip in the master is bad can I just buy a new chip and program it myself?
Or if I have a new copy made would a locksmith be able to program it for me from the copy key?
Would also love to ad another copy to have spare, but not sure about the programming part.
Any advice? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You can program another key if you have a master key which is working (starts the car). You can not program a master key with a valet (secondary key).
A master key if it is the one that came with the car brand new should be able to start the car. In your case it does not.
You have another key with no fob and it starts the car. That one is the valet key which can not program another key.
You need to go to the dealer in which one choice is to reset the ECU and then create new keys. That is expensive.
There is one last option and that is to clone the valet key & original fob with a special cloning machine from a locksmith and put into a new key with a fob control.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Find a good locksmith shop that specializes in automotive keys. They can sort it out for you and are a lot cheaper than the dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. I feel really foolish because after I posted this thread I decided to open the master key to check the chip just to find out that the chip is missing altogether. No wonder it wouldn't work. I found a replacement chip on ebay, supposedly the same model. It was just little over $3 so I went for it, but not putting very high hopes in it, it's coming from China so who knows if it's gonna work at all. In either case I'll take your advice and will look for a locksmith who can help me with it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
just replacing the chip will do nothing. the chip must be programmed to the car's computer and without a working master you cant do it yourself. one thing that seems to be overlooked is that you said the "copy" key will start the rav, but will not manually open the doors. this makes me think something is odd here. im thinking that either the door or door lock has been replaced or the ignition has been replaced. one solution is to place the "copy" key inside the steering column close to the ignition (after breaking the blade) and then just use any key to start the rav. good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah there is all kinds of weird with those keys. But I really don't think the door lock nor the starter was replaced. Looks like the copy key is just not very good copy, it seems to be the same cut but its overall bit thinner.
When I place the copy key near the ignition I can start it with the master. I considered simply swapping the chip from the copy into the master, but if something went wrong and the chip got damaged during the swap then I wouldn't be able to start the car at all, so I won't risk that. I'll wait for the new chip to arrive and will find a locksmith who can program it for me. Once I have a working master it is my understanding that I'll be then able to program other copies my self, is that correct?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yeah there is all kinds of weird with those keys. But I really don't think the door lock nor the starter was replaced. Looks like the copy key is just not very good copy, it seems to be the same cut but its overall bit thinner.
When I place the copy key near the ignition I can start it with the master. I considered simply swapping the chip from the copy into the master, but if something went wrong and the chip got damaged during the swap then I wouldn't be able to start the car at all, so I won't risk that. I'll wait for the new chip to arrive and will find a locksmith who can program it for me. Once I have a working master it is my understanding that I'll be then able to program other copies my self, is that correct?

Are you sure the copy is a valet and not a master key? I believe on the 4.3 rav4 VALET key wont lock or unlock the glovebox.( I don't have a valet key to check it) Only a mater key will work on the glovebox.( Someone please correct me if im wrong) Have you tried it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure the copy is a valet and not a master key? I believe on the 4.3 rav4 VALET key wont lock or unlock the glovebox.( I don't have a valet key to check it) Only a mater key will work on the glovebox.( Someone please correct me if im wrong) Have you tried it?
I don't really know how to tell if the copy is a valet or not. It is not the original valet for sure as it doesn't have the Toyota logo on it, it's definitely some aftermarket copy that was made later. I assume it doesn't open the door or the glove box simply because it's not a very good copy. I believe valet would at least open the door. Funny though that it turns inside of the starter just fine.
If the copy had been made of the original master would that mean that this copy is then a master too? Or could it also be just a copy of the valet? So confusing :serious

·
Registered
178 Posts
My valet key is gray with the Toyota logo on it. It will not lock the glove box either. Also you can't program the chip without the techstream software.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I don't really know how to tell if the copy is a valet or not. It is not the original valet for sure as it doesn't have the Toyota logo on it, it's definitely some aftermarket copy that was made later. I assume it doesn't open the door or the glove box simply because it's not a very good copy. I believe valet would at least open the door. Funny though that it turns inside of the starter just fine.
If the copy had been made of the original master would that mean that this copy is then a master too? Or could it also be just a copy of the valet? So confusing :serious
Try this to see if you have master or valet key.

How to tell if a programmed key is a MASTER or a VALET?

Valet key-
when first inserted into the ignition lock, the Security Light will stay on for 2 seconds and then stay off.

Master key-
when inserted into the ignition lock, the Security Light will not illuminate at all

http://www.adusa.us/data/documents/18.14_Manual_Toyota-P.535-595.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try this to see if you have master or valet key.

How to tell if a programmed key is a MASTER or a VALET?

Valet key-
when first inserted into the ignition lock, the Security Light will stay on for 2 seconds and then stay off.

Master key-
when inserted into the ignition lock, the Security Light will not illuminate at all
Thanks! In that case the good news is the copy is a master.

rav4system2: Are you saying I won't be able to program the new chip myself with the master key?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a master key then you can use techstream to program you other key when you get the chip.

That's great, I'll be able to program it myself then. I had no idea something like techstream existed. And it looks like it can do all kinds of cool stuff! This will save me from getting ripped off at dealer. Thanks!
:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
That's great, I'll be able to program it myself then. I had no idea something like techstream existed. And it looks like it can do all kinds of cool stuff! This will save me from getting ripped off at dealer. Thanks!
:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

If your going to get the techstream I would suggest you also get another keyfob so you have a spare. You can get the keyfob from ebay (make sure your key has a DOT on the keyblade. Take the key to a LOCKSMITH to get cut ( costs about 2 to 4 dollars). I don't recommend using homedeopt or place like that because if they mess up the key you will have to buy a new one. Test the key in the ignition to make sure it turns the engine.(it wont start the car). Now using the techstream software program the key with the MASTER key. when your done check to make sure it works. Now open the cover of the old MASTER using a knife and remove the CHIP (its glued in) and put it in the old keyfob ( you can open the new keyfob to see exactly where it goes) with a small drop of crazy glue to hold it. Now you will have 2 working keyfobs just in case you loose one.
Heres a link for a Keyfob with a DOT on the keyblade from ebay in usa.

Let us know how it goes!

You can contact the seller to VERIFY that this Keyfob will work with your 2006 Rav4

Brand New Replacement Remote Head Key Fob for Toyota Rav4 XB HYQ12BBY

1 - 15 of 15 Posts