Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I hate to say it but it's true! One thing I hate about living in Las Vegas is that there's construction every where ALL THE TIME! Rock chips are a given after a while, but 5 days??? I now have 2 small chips on the front part of the hood. I'm so bummed!

Now, a couple of questions...

#1) Has anyone out there with Blizzard Pearl try out the touch up paint yet? If so, how does it look?

#2) Does anyone out there have the 3M or Avery clear bra/hood protector installed? If so, how do you like it and how much did it cost?

#3) For anyone who has the Canadian/Benevento hood protector on a White/Silver/or Blizzard Pearl RAV, can you please post pictures up close and from a distance?

Thank you all in advance!!!

ravgal

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quickdtoo said:
TRDparts has touch up paint...

http://www.trdparts4u.com/
Thanks for the link Quickdtoo! I called my local dealers and they're all out of touch up paint. Prices for accessories at this site are a bit cheaper than the dealer too! Thanks again!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gotta tell ya. 30 years of driving and I've not had a car chip paint like this Rav. Love it in all respects, but the paints chips way too easily. It's as if they cut corners on coat thickness or something I don't understand. Can't imagine that all of a sudden, there are more flying stones at the momoent I buy a Rav. I have Barcelona Red, gorgeous color, but the paint dab shows up too dark. I thought about posting this topic and couldn't zip my lip when I saw someone else had.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ravgal2006 wrote:
#2) Does anyone out there have the 3M or Avery clear bra/hood protector installed? If so, how do you like it and how much did it cost?
I have the 3M package that covers the hood, front quarter panels and mirrors. Cost me $270 for that pkg, add about another $350 to do the front bumper. Am very pleased with it thus far. Check out out my album pic entitled "Where is The Invisible Bra". :)

OC

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sandman wrote:
I gotta tell ya. 30 years of driving and I've not had a car chip paint like this RAV. Love it in all respects, but the paints chips way too easily. It's as if they cut corners on coat thickness or something I don't understand. Can't imagine that all of a sudden, there are more flying stones at the momoent I buy a RAV. I have Barcelona Red, gorgeous color, but the paint dab shows up too dark. I thought about posting this topic and couldn't zip my lip when I saw someone else had.
This is not a problem exclusive to Toyota, but seems to be shared universally within the auto industry - since most manufacturers in recent years have changed from organic solvent to water based solvent paint process for environmental purposes. Check out the thread "cheap paint on the RAV4?" on page 2 of Exterior 4.3 forums.

OC

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hey, Frank,

I don't have any either (yet) but next weekend is the true test - gonna take my first out of town trip with the RAV - in fact we're going to PA - Pittsburgh area to be exact. Can't wait to see what kind of mileage I get on the interstates......... :)

OC

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
My wife has relatives in the eastern suburbs, forget the name of the town. Better find out soon, and do a Mapquest soon, too. Gotta see if I can find some Steeler memorabilia, too while I'm in the area.

OC

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OCInsomniac said:
I have the 3M package that covers the hood, front quarter panels and mirrors. Cost me $270 for that pkg, add about another $350 to do the front bumper. Am very pleased with it thus far. Check out out my album pic entitled "Where is The Invisible Bra". :)

OC
Thanks for the picture OC! I can't even tell it's there at all. Did your package cover the entire hood or just the front part of the hood? I'm gonna call around town tomorrow to see how much the packages run here. It's weird because I've seen a lot of markings on the front bumper from stones hitting but no chips there. It seems to be the hood that's not holding up too well. Thanks again!!

ravgal

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ravgal -

The 3M film covers about 18" up from the front of the hood. The film on the front quarters starts at the front where it meets the bumper and goes back about 8 -10". It 's not really noticeable until you get within about 4-5' from it, then you will notice the very subtle borderline.

Go for it, but don't even think of trying to install it yourself - go to a professional window tint shop. :)

OC

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
my wife is a huge steelers fan and today at a mall in Jersey in a sports shop they had all this steelers stuff signed by players for sale. Helmets, pictures and the one cool pic was a poster sized one of the field with the guys on it and everyone on the team signed it. On the bottom it was the date and all they won the superbowl saying superbowl champions etc. Pretty cool but at $3000 a hard nut to swallow..

OCInsomniac said:
My wife has relatives in the eastern suburbs, forget the name of the town. Better find out soon, and do a Mapquest soon, too. Gotta see if I can find some Steeler memorabilia, too while I'm in the area.

OC

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Frank,

That town outside the Burgh we're going to is Wesford? Near or adjacent to a state gameland preserve (maybe I oughta bring my shotgun). I'm more interested in the old Steeler memorabilia - from the days of Bradshaw, Franco, Swannie & Stallworth and the Steel Curtain. Not dating myself now am I?? 8)

OC

·
Registered
270 Posts
flyingn said:
Wexford. Know it well.

Franco Harris. I could tell ya stories about him in college. He went to PSU ya know.. :wink:
Interesting, my RAV4 came from Baierl Toyota in Wexford - traded with Johnstown dealer. Also, from my handle, you can see I'm a Penn Stater and saw all of Franco's home games and most away games.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK… time out…. Back to the subject.

Our RAV has 2,000 miles on it and has accumulated two rock chips on the hood plus one on the windshield. The glass guy did a repair job on the windshield, (much better than the star look, but now I have a permanent bug spot), but our local Toyota dealer is out/never had the touch up paint.
You are right on about things at Toyota not being the same as in the past. We just sold our ’97 Camry with 145,000 miles with no windshield chips, (did have a few hood chips), and our ’91 Toyota truck with 168,000 (still had the original clutch :D) miles and no chips anywhere.
Where did the Toyota quality go?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts