Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20K on the meter....took a stone hit on the windshield....did do the search here on the forum and do know what I will probably be facing regarding windshield replacement. All that said....it's a bit of a "dice roll" given the tech oriented with the windshield. I think I will insist on OEM replacement and dealership "supervision" given the tech stuff..........

·
Registered
Silver R4P XSE, Weather Package
1,089 Posts
Hopefully you have "OEM replacement parts" on your auto insurance poilicy, other wise you may need to pay the difference. Insurance should also pay for the camera and intermittent wiper sensor calibration. Good luck.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I’d go for the replacement over repair for sure. I’ve seen three attempted repairs and they were all poor imo. Cracks are still clearly visible on my mother in laws car, and I swear the the damage was more clear after repair on an old Corolla I used to have. The cracks were sealed but man was the center of the old strike super bright!

Like another poster stated, OEM vs aftermarket may be out of your hands based on the policy. Safelite did an awesome replacement on my ‘13 CX-5, and OEM was all that was available back in 2013. Aftermarket is what they went with on my ‘19 XLE Premium. The windshield was made in USA (great imo) but the install was poor. The windshield was off to the passenger side 1/8 to 1/4” (yeah, it was not just slid to the side but also slight crooked lol), and the plastic trim at the base of the windshield no longer fit correctly. I ended up trading that in for my ‘21 XSE hybrid, but I’ll never bother using Safelite again in this town.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
1,109 Posts
Pictures of (loud) windshield impact resulting in (mini) chipping of the Shatter-X ceramic layer in post #30 here; Windshield Replacement
Make your windshield harder to NOT break at first rock impact.

·
Registered
333 Posts
No sure where you are in Canada but I got a rock on day 4 of owning the car. Insisted on OEM insurance gave me a really hard time but ended up agreeing on OEM. Had to wait 3 months for windshield to show up.
They are on backorder almost everywhere in Canada.
Good luck with your repairs

·
Registered
10 Posts
After 20K on the meter....took a stone hit on the windshield....did do the search here on the forum and do know what I will probably be facing regarding windshield replacement. All that said....it's a bit of a "dice roll" given the tech oriented with the windshield. I think I will insist on OEM replacement and dealership "supervision" given the tech stuff..........
Check with your insurance company before you do any replacement. In many states insurance company is required to replace the windshield if it is damaged. They may have a preferred installer. If the work is not satisfactory, the insurance company will have it re-done.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,802 Posts
My windshield got hit one month after buying new 2021 on turnpike, safelite told me 1400 to fix wilthout insurance and that included calibration of camera
I asked for the same as the Original windshild , I was so PISSED only one month !!!!
A few years back, I got a big stone chip in my 4Runner within a month of purchase, which quickly spread to a crack down the center of the windshield. Since is is not directly in front of the driver, I just left it. Still there. It doesn't really bother me except when the sun is just right and casts a glare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I asked for the same as the Original windshild , I was so PISSED only one month !!!!
I too just replaced my windshield with Safelite autoglass with 5K miles on the clock. Started with a highway rock crack about 2 inches long that eventually spread across the entire windshield. The replacement after market windshield looks dirty even when its clean and sub par to OEM glass. I came out of Shop Rite food store 2 days ago just to find the rain sensor hanging by its wires! It took numerous phone calls but they came out and repaired it. Shoddy work and shoddy glass so watch out for that. I also had a flat tire ( total side wall blow out) on the OEM brand new tires with less then 200 miles on them, the dealer refused to do anything about it. I also suffered a parking lot hit and run on the right rear door of my black limited hybrid Rav 4. Love the SUV but black = bad luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts