Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pics of the damage to our truck:

Pic of the guilty party's car:

The guilty party had just exited the freeway and was on her way to make an immediate left while my wife was going straight. Even when my wife got hit, the other driver didn't know it until my wife honked her horn.

My wife is ok but she's pissed (and sad). It was exactly two months to the day since we got it. Body shop estimated about $2100. It will be about at least a week before we get it back, assuming the guilty party's insurance company gives approval in a day or two. At most would be 2 weeks.

The other driver's brother-in-law commented on the nice color. hehe. Hopefully the new bumper's color won't be off too much than the rest of the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
OMG!!! Nowhere near what happened to mine, but at least yours will hopefully be covered by the offender's insurance. Evil old BMW... If it didn't have that chrome bumper, it might not have done so much damage... :evil:

Doesn't look like much impact or collateral damage, so maybe replacing the front bumper cover and the corner of structural pieces behind it is all that's necessary? (Other than the alloy)

Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I almost threw up.:( ya know.. $2100 seems a lil cheap for a pumper cover, foglight, wheel and paint and install.. Get the very best body shop you can find. Its your perogitive.. So that can match that color. It will not be easy match

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have put a warning in the subject..not for the faint of heart. hehe. :)

No frame damage so that's good. It's all covered under the other drivers insurance. We'll need a new bumper, wheel, mudguard, that black part that connects underneath the bumper, plus the various bits and pieces.

Yeah, if it wasn't for that chrome bumper it could have just been scratches.

The rental (covered by insurance) my wife is driving is a new Chevy Cobalt and the engine is nothing compared to the RAV. She misses her RAV!

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are always some nuts driving on the road. Too bad. :?

Glad that nobody hurt. Hope your baby will be recovered sooner.

TSQ

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hand me the bag - I'm feelin' nauseous. Hate to see the new babies as road casualties!! Glad to see no one hurt - get the right body shop, and your RAV will look like it did on the dealer's lot! :cry:

OC

J

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident.
Like mentioned before, not for the faint of heart.

Does the front bumper have any reinforcement at all on the RAv4?

Just curious as it doesn't appear so. Looks like bumper cover and thats it?

I hope gets done right and soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rough break

Yep that is a sad one, my 14 month old 05 Sport looked a lot like that, only the opposite side. No fog lamps on mine, but the total bill came to $2.263, I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow. Replaced fendeer, bumper cover, trim around grill, headlight assembly.

At least no one was hurt.

Best
Ken

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally fixed!!

Took almost a month but it is finally back and good as new! The body shop did a real good job with the color of the bumper...it matches perfectly!

The parts that took the longest were the two front bumper caps and the Limited badge. They were on back order for 2 weeks.

The only other problem was that the shop forgot to transfer the tire pressure monitor sensor when they replaced the wheel.

Total cost was around $2700 all covered by the other person's insurance. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Congratulations on the happy outcome. Take it from someone who once had a very bad accident with a brand-new first-year model: you got it back very quickly, what with having to get replacement parts for a new model and all.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ya know what's really nice about this story is that the other had insurance! You wouldn't believe the horror stories in Florida. Here you don't buy insurance because you may damage other peoples property, here you buy lots and lots of "uninsured/under insured motorist" protection. Basically we insure the other guy cuz chances are he has NONE. :shock:

B

·
0 Posts
Ah, but isn't the case in Florida that if you get hit by an uninsured motorist you are legally allowed to shoot them.

I'm sure good ol' Jeb passed that :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts