Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola Everyone. I’m afraid that my 97’ Rav4 (4wd with automatic transmission) had broken down due to the service belt snapping. I figured that at this point, I might as well throw a new engine in it since I’m currently being offered a good deal for a Blacktop BEAMS 3SGE for about 1000$. I’m not to sure if all 3SGE are the same or not. My big question is: is this swap possible? What will have to be changed? And any other details or forum posts that would be recommended for this swap. Thank you a lot R4W!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Service belt": It that the timing belt, or the belt for the accessories (alternator, ...)? If the timing belt, the 3S-FE is a non-interference engine so there shouldn't have been major damage.
I believe it’s the one for the engine. I was driving it, and then all power got cut so I pulled over, the engine oil light flashed. I then restarted the car, took it to a rest stop which i was 60 feet from, right as I was about to turn into the stall my car started to make a knock sound so I pulled in and turned her off. I’m now awaiting to truck service

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it’s the one for the engine. I was driving it, and then all power got cut so I pulled over, the engine oil light flashed. I then restarted the car, took it to a rest stop which i was 60 feet from, right as I was about to turn into the stall my car started to make a knock sound so I pulled in and turned her off. I’m now awaiting to truck service
You know what. Turns out my car ran out of oil, I’m not used to driving such a high revving engine so whenever I need to pass someone I have to floor it. I’m still going to do the belt though since it’s 60,000kms over the recommended service date. But I would really like to know about the blacktop 3sge, I know it would eat more fuel but it’s bump in n/a horsepower is what I’m after

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well no, you'd need the matching ECU and probably the wiring loom.
I could get ecu, not sure about harness. But now I’m going to have to do it sooner than ever now :/ it isn’t a valve problem. It’s knocking :(. New engine time. I’m tempted to find a grey top beams to run the rav4 on since I know they used them in the the Japanese models. But still im just mad my 3sfe broke.

·
Super Moderator
11,226 Posts
I wouldn't have thought that either. Sorry that it happened, hope it's salvageable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you caught it REALLY early you might be able to get away with replacing the bearings and polishing the crank, but I'd just swap in another 3SFE. It'll be the cheapest and easiest option in the long run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts