Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 2002 CRV for a RAV4 Sport 4 cyl. in Flint Mica a couple of weeks ago. Wow what a difference. The RAV is much quieter, more comfortable and just feels more solid and I think the RAV looks much better than the CRV. By the way I'm 6' 3" and I have plenty of leg room.

My milage has been 22 to 24 mpg in town with a high of 27 mpg on the interstate at 65 to 80 mph.

I have added a XM reciever that I currently have hidden in the upper console. This works fine for now but long term I think Audiovox is coming out with a set up that will play thru any stock radio with RDS capability and will display text information on the stock radio. (Yet to confirm that a JBL radio is RDS compatable)

I plan on installing mud flaps this weekend.

The only negative to the RAV is that the height of the cargo area is less than the CRV and I will have to lay my bicycle on its side to transport it in the cargo area, with the CRV's cargo area height I could take the front wheel off and secure the bike in a vertical postion, and have the rest of the floor space for my gear. I will be exploring options for bike transport including roof rack and trailer hitch racks.

This site has been very helpfull and thanks to all who have posted their experiences. :

·
Registered
654 Posts
Congratulations! Wow, I haven't been counting but I think we're up to something like 5 Sport Flint Micas?? Maybe we should do a roll call. :lol:

Well, it looks like you answered a question that's been out there for a little while about bikes fitting into the cargo space. I think there was a post that inferred the RAV can hold 3 bikes inside.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Congrats! Sweet! A CRV convert! Add one notch for Toyota and the RAV! :D

Fitting bikes in the cargo area may depend on what kind of bike(s) the owner has and how tall it is. Could make a huge difference.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congrats on the RAV!

What XM receiver do you have? It's pretty small up there so you probably don't have a SkyFi.

·
Registered
420 Posts
TICMXMAN said:
The only negative to the RAV is that the height of the cargo area is less than the CRV and I will have to lay my bicycle on its side to transport it in the cargo area, with the CRV's cargo area height I could take the front wheel off and secure the bike in a vertical postion, and have the rest of the floor space for my gear.
Is the height insufficient with the floor removed or not? The storage bin adds about 20cm.

When I checked various cars, 2006 CR-V was the shortest inside with the rear seat folded, at 136cm. RAV4 had 171cm. That was because in CR-V the seats do not fold into the foot area, but sort of recline forward. Maybe you can exploit the extra length somehow...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats TICMXMAN!

I also will be trading in my 2001 Honda CRV for the v6 Sport.

I hope to have it by the end of next week.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bikes and XM in the RAV4

KVJ- I have the Audiovox Express hidden in the top of the console, playing thru FM modulation option, the aux-in jack connection did not have as high a volume level capability and I think the sound is better thru the FM modulation setup, it sounds great thru the JBL system.

Karrock- you are correct a shorter person may be able to stand their bike up in the back . I'm 6' 3" so my seat height is pretty high.

Zahcev- I did try to put the bike in with the floor removed and it did not fit. But I did not have much time so I have not fully ruled out this option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the new RAV4 - great choice!
I was at the Honda dealership picking up my wife's 2000 CR-V from getting serviced and one of the service guys comes out to take a good look at my brand new RAV4 Sport (Flint Mica). He even asks to get a look inside and preceeds to tell me that he's probably going to buy one to replace his 2002 RAV4.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Bikes and XM in the RAV4

I did try to put the bike in with the floor removed and it did not fit. But I did not have much time so I have not fully ruled out this option.

By removing the floor, you mean taking off the lids that cover the rear storage bins underneath, right?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trunk floor

Yes, just the covers over the trunk area are removed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i test drove the CRV not long ago and it actually wasn't bad. You could tell it was a honda by the way it accelerated and handled, but I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. I'm not a fan of the gear shift being on the steering column. Van style just isn't for me. The emergency brake thing was a bit weird...cool looking, but took me over 20 seconds to figure out how the darn thing worked. It comes off the dash and looks like some video game controler.

Glad you've moved up to the Rav4. We've been waiting for you.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too test drove a CRV and was quite unimpressed. The engine seemed to work about the same as the Rav4, but other than that the Rav4 excelled in every other area. Especially with driver leg room. Amazingly limited amount of room in the CR-V. Definitely not for tall people, and the arm rests were very uncomfortable and I am too wide to take advantage of putting my elbow on it.

I did kind of like the location of the shifter in the CR-V though.

The cargo space in the CR-V is definitely taller, but it seemed like it was less wide, I could be wrong though.

Yeah, the Rav4 is much more car than the CR-V, IMO.

Congrats on the new car!

J.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aren't they supposed to have a redesigned CRV for the '07 model?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts