Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep I did it. Overfilled the oil on my last oil change. Put 5 quarts in. Without checking at 4.5.

Wife drove about 250 miles since.

Question is how bad is this? Should I drain out a little oil tonight, this weekend, never?

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Did the oil level as measured on the dipstick go down after your wife had driven the 250 miles, or is it the same? Or was the level even measured just after the new oil had been added and the engine started to test for leaks? If there was no apparent problem after your wife had driven that distance it is likely that there won't be one.

But I'm a fussbudget about such things. Once I overfilled the small block 327 Chev. V8 in my pickup truck and when I discovered that I had done that, I drained the excess. A bit of a messy job, but I felt much better afterwards!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overfilled as read on a dip stick. All conditions. Not by much.

What would be the potential problem of overfilling?

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Overfilled as read on a dip stick. All conditions. Not by much.

What would be the potential problem of overfilling?

Too much oil could cause problems with the crankcase ventilation and pollution control systems, and worst case scenario if badly overfilled could be blown engine seals, but given the description of the oil on the dipstick that would be very unlikely, and other problems would be apparent as well in that instance.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
If it is a quater of an inch above the Max level on the dipstick, I would just ignore it.
Otherwise, just drain a little out. Not a big deal if you do your own oil change.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
If it is a quater of an inch above the Maxlevel on the dipstick, I would just ignore it.

Yep - our V6 RAVs are routinely overfilled by dealer service departments to about 1/4 inch above the full level on the dipsticks and no problems have been reported.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Will it be a problem? Probably No.

Would I drain it to get to the marked level? Probably yes. Something nice about seeing it spot on.

It is so easy to do with the drain plug on the filter housing. Easy to remove 8-10 oz. They even provide the little drain tool with your filter, though it is a POS I never use it, lol.

·
Registered
268 Posts
We've owned several Honda's, and they all take 4.5 quarts.

I would routinely put the whole 5 qt bottle of oil in and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Yes about 1/4" over the full mark on the stick.
I do recall it coming back from the dealer with that much oil in it before.
If I get around to it this weekend I might drain some. Otherwise I'll jsut leave it.
Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Don't worry about it. You would have to grossly over-fill it by several quarts to start causing any problems. Every time we tool our Rav4 in for the Toyota Care oil changes the dipstick would show 1/4" to 1/2" over the full line. The car now has 60K on it and no problems. I think the oil and filter change re-fill volume from the manual is 4.7 qt and the dealers probably just dump in 5.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
I've had my dealer do the oil changes since day one. They always overfill the oil about 1/4" over the full mark on the dipstick. I guess they figure most owners never check it, so better a little too much than not enough. I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I agree with most others on here and wouldn't worry about a slight overfill. My 99 Camry takes 3.8 qts. I've put 4 in since I bought it with nary a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts