Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need an above tire carrier kind of like the picture AND a gas can attachment that might go in front of the spare tire to carry extra gas.
I am planning an overland roof top tent so no gear will go on top anymore for any travels.

Where can I get this? I can't find any places that would sell it.

I need it to be so I don't have to modify anything on the vehicle or drill holes anywhere and be able to install it and then take it off whenever not needed.
If there is nothing I can put on without modification to the vehicle then I will just use my tow hitch carrier I guess but only if I have no other choice. the carrier is low to ground and I don't like it much.
I want to be able to use them on both on my RAV4 and the FJ.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hmmm... I don't have a place to look for those but would be concerned about the forces on the spare tire bracket attached to the back door. 5 gallons of gas would be 30 pounds plus the weight of the can and the mounting rack. Yikes! The moment arm of that seems huge, which is to say the force of the spare tire combined with all that other stuff...... [What was that noise? Wait: where did the spare tire and gas can go...?] Especially if you are planning to go off-road (which I assume is the reason for this in the first place....). Lots of rotational force on that mount.....IMHO...

Roof-top tent? Huh. Not seen one of those. I like mine on the ground.... Keep us up-to-date....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I don't have a place to look for those but would be concerned about the forces on the spare tire bracket attached to the back door. 5 gallons of gas would be 30 pounds plus the weight of the can and the mounting rack. Yikes! The moment arm of that seems huge, which is to say the force of the spare tire combined with all that other stuff...... [What was that noise? Wait: where did the spare tire and gas can go...?] Especially if you are planning to go off-road (which I assume is the reason for this in the first place....). Lots of rotational force on that mount.....IMHO...

Roof-top tent? Huh. Not seen one of those. I like mine on the ground.... Keep us up-to-date....

Either it will be the rack for top of tire or the can holder. I have found the can holders for which the hardware is pretty light. 5 gallons of gas shouldn't be bad.

See link below:
FJ Cruiser Pax Gas Mount - Chi-Town 4x4

I now have to find out if it is compatible with both of my vehicles and what modifications to this item may be needed. Not modifying anything on the cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rock Slide Engineering EZ mount. These look handy, they strap to both sides of the tire on the back and have mounting holes for Roto Pax gas cans, and probably can mount other types too! Should be secure with a tight ratchet strap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts