Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry fellas, but you can't have this. The D stands for Diesel: http://www.mahotec.de/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Toyota-RAV4&id=TTE_Performance_Kit

Plus you wouldn't really want it. This ECU modification boosts the HP to somewhere closer to what we in the US have as stock HP. Apparently the diesels push less hp and this TTE product helps raise it up a bit. We in the USA have no use for it. I just thought I'd post it to let you know companies really are helping out the Rav4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Overseas ECU modification

zoomie said:
Sorry fellas, but you can't have this. The D stands for Diesel: http://www.mahotec.de/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Toyota-RAV4&id=TTE_Performance_Kit

Plus you wouldn't really want it. This ECU modification boosts the HP to somewhere closer to what we in the US have as stock HP. Apparently the diesels push less hp and this TTE product helps raise it up a bit. We in the USA have no use for it. I just thought I'd post it to let you know companies really are helping out the RAV4.
I was holding out for the US EPA to finish mandating low sulfur diesel fuel in the US (planned rollout was early 2007, I think) and then import a German diesel Rav4 with the TTE chip mods to the US and get it road approved. Until low sulfur diesel becomes widely available in the US, very few diesel vehicles are available here, and those that do don't really have many emissions controls, because the fuel is so dirty to start with (150 parts per million of sulfur in the US, as opposed to Europe's 30ppm).

THe EPA regs would have reduced that to 15ppm in the US, but when Bush won the 2004 presidential election, I decided his administration would likely change the low sulfur diesel rollout schedule, so I bought a 2005 manual tranny gasoline Rav4. I don't know if it's still on schedule or not, haven't heard much about lsd (low sulfur diesel) recently.

There were three reasons I wanted to do this:

1. Diesels have improved torque, which, when combined with the manual transmission (no auto is available for the 2005 diesel) would help with the Rav4 not having a two-speed transfer case (with a low range) for more serious offroad.

2. Improved mileage. The 2005 diesel Rav4 gets 39mpg. Some figures say 46mpg, I think, but that's Imperial Gallons, not US gallons.

3. With improved mileage comes improved range - With a 14 gallon tank, a diesel Rav4 could go as far as 550 miles, as opposed to ~370 with gasoline.

Ah well...

Here's the direct link to the TTE web site with Rav4.2 accessories:

http://www.tte.de/cm_rav4_A2.htm

Cheers,

Vaughan

J

·
0 Posts
wow that 4.2.5 is pretty nice!! are there any dealers that deal with tte in the US

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the 2005 diesel.

I have tested the 2,0 gasoline(150hp) which is the gasoline engine we have in Norway)

compared to the gasoline engine the diesel is a bit slower on the sprint from 0-100km/h, but in real life the diesel feels quick and on speeds it feels stronger than the gasoline...

if you check the numers for the gasoline engine the hp and the torque is both at quite high rpm(an rpm which you normally only use a few % time of your driving)

the diesel have an rpm of 2250 when doing 100km/h(60mph) and is really strong(250nm torque in this area).

the carracteristic of the diesel is more like a gasoline engine compared to my older VW tdi of 90hp which was only "working" in the area 1800-3200rpm. the d4d engine is strong from 1500rpm and is pushing hard up to about 4200rpm... above 4200rpm it's more noise, but not more hp!(the red line is at 5200)

I will probably install a tte modification this summer and then boost my enigne from 116hp and 250nm to 140hp and 300nm

Nils

1 - 5 of 5 Posts