Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Owl sound cold start

621 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Phatota
I have a 2017 rav4 base model and when I start it in the morning when it’s cold outside it makes what sounds like an owl hooting for a very short time. It just started doing it this year. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what it may be. The car runs fine and has no issues other than that noise in the morning.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
And the bendix's shaft is dry. A few drops of oil might fix it.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t think it’s the starter. Today I put the ignition in the on position without starting when cold and made the “who” “who” sound probably like 10 times then stopped. Car starts up fine. I’m starting to think it has to do with the fuel or evap system.

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
Very interesting video regarding the VVT rattle & gear replacement but I don't think that's the OP's noise since he doesn't describe it as a rattle rather a howling noise.
I'm still thinking it's a dry bearing somewhere and if it happens w/o starting the engine maybe it's the heater blower motor. The test would be make sure the motor is turned off when turning the key on.

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
I had what is probably the same sound in a 2011 Sienna our church bought for a missionary family on furlough. When you first turned the blower on it would make various howling noises as if it was being tortured. After a short time it was quiet. The family was used to it so I didn't address it until they were done with the van and I was selling it. Took the blower out and tried to lubricate it but couldn't get to the shafts so I bought a new one on eBay. Silence!

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
2,245 Posts

took me awhile to get a video but this is the sound I’m getting with the key in the on position before starting. If anyone has any ideas??
Sounds like something rubbing when it is slowly rotating. Can't really think of anything that does that unless it may be the fan for the A/C system. Suggest looking at it; you can get to it by removing the cabin air filter which is behind the glove box.

· Registered
120 Posts
Next question: where is it coming from? Go to the engine with the camera, have someone do exactly what you did prior to and then start the engine. Pinpoint where it is coming from.

To me it sounds like a small motor that is having difficulty spinning up to full speed. I hear something similar to failing cooling motors on RC speed controllers and/or motors.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next question: where is it coming from? Go to the engine with the camera, have someone do exactly what you did prior to and then start the engine. Pinpoint where it is coming from.

To me it sounds like a small motor that is having difficulty spinning up to full speed. I hear something similar to failing cooling motors on RC speed controllers and/or motors.

Thank you!!! I didn’t even think about it but I think it’s one of my aftermarket led headlights cooling fans making the noise. I turned off my DRL’s before turning the car on and it didn’t make the sound. Will try and double check in the morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts