Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that sensor by the muffler?

Also, why do our cars disable traction control and 4WD when there's an issue? I almost always have a code scanner with me, so it's not a big deal since I can clear the code, but I didn't have one one day in a snowstorm and it was tricky getting home. Is the thinking that an error at all warrants a tow truck and you're better off stuck in a blizzard than driving with a bad o2 sensor?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had a code pop up for the EVAP system in California just as I was leaving to head back to Florida. Any code also disables the cruise in addition to what was mentioned. Fortunately I keep a cheap scanner in the car and just left it plugged into the OBDII port so I could reset the codes and have cruise. For that code, on the third re-start the error popped up so it was just a minor inconvenience to reset after a couple of fuel/pit stops. Imagine driving a RAV from CA to FL with no cruise. Always have a spare code reader in the car IMHO. BTW, there was a hole in my EVAP canister due to driving a gravel forest road in the mountains.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toyota's lawyers don't expect everybody to drive around with a code scanner on them. They want to protect themselves.
I would think they face more liability leaving a person stranded in extreme conditions where they maybe couldn't get help, but would've been able to get out of it if they had 4WD. Like if you're in a snowstorm. It might take hours for someone to get to you. If you're low on gas you might run out of heat if you run out of gas. There should be a workaround to not have the computer disable that stuff.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's the one in the front under the driver's seat. Funny thing is I replaced that one once before, but I checked Amazon and that was in the summer of 2016. I use the cr for Uber o i put lots of miles on it, so i guess this is somewhat typical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts