Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?:Hello to all, I just returned from Iraq and found the Rav running like garbage. I just pulled OBD II codes from my rav. P0300,P0302,P0303.

Any Ideas? Misfires, Misfires, Misfires. Plug wires seem fine, don't know about the coils. It is a 99 with 140,000 plus.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
jcole4455,
Hmm, what was the storage situation for your RAV? Was it run occasionally? How long has it gone without running?

I'm not sure about the newer things with the coil packs, but my first thought is that if you were away for a number of months and the thing hasn't run much, the fuel might have gone bad...

Bogatyr

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son was driving the Rav daily. I bought the haynes manual and I have found that it is misfiring on the 2nd and 3rd cylinder and both of these plug are supplied by the same coil. I am going to test the plug wires for spark. In an older car I would just buy the coil, these things have so many sensors I am second guessing myself constantly.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:? Update: I checked the sparkplug wires and found nothing wrong, no burns, no breaks, and good strong spark. Any help at all would be appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
in my limited experience of misfires, it's either bad/lacking gas supply or spark.. maybe dirty injectors!! it's a serious problem if you find the timing is off on only 2 cylinders... does your rav have ignitor packs or distributor cap?

did your son say exactly when the misfiring started? and what was done with your car just before that?

did you ever find out what the error codes mean? the only time mine misfired was when the mechanic broke a timing tooth off the crankshaft pulley while changing the timing belt & he stuck it back with super glue!!!! it ran like a dog when the tooth fell off...i think the ignitor packs are kinda bullet proof, but things can happen..

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He was just driving it on the freeway, no recent repairs, the codes are
P0300 = random misfire
P0302 = cylinder #2 misfire
P0303 = cylinder #3 misfire

The only thing I can find that they have in common is the # 2 coil

I don't have a distributor cap.

·
Registered
542 Posts
must be a problem with the signal to the ignitor or the pack it's self coz the ecu can see that it's misfiring..

see if you can check the connectors are properly plugged in & not dirty inside.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's misfiring, ask your kid if anyone mess with the distributor timing.

Otherwise, replace the plugs and see what happen. If it still persists, see if cleaning injectors will do the job.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it is a misfire, then it is in the ignition system. Lack of fuel won't cause it to misfire, the engine will only idle poorly. I would probably first replace the sparkplug then check for spark. If the misfire is consistant you should see the misfire. It can be the wire, the coil pack, the crank sensor or the ignition module, maybe the timing belt. Clear the codes and disconnect the battery to allow the computer to reset itself and start it up again and see what it does. Hope this helps.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts