Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm having trouble diagnosing what is triggering this fault. Having cleared the fault, the engine light comes on about usually 10 minutes after driving and it's always this P0335 fault. The sensor, wiring and reluctor ring have all being checked and are all fine. (The sensor has also been replaced)

There are no other symptoms and the car is runs perfectly even when the engine light comes on but obviously I can't use four wheel drive mode and I don't want to keep driving around with the engine light on!

I've also noticed that ;check 4x4 system message; always comes on first and I'm wondering is this related to the P0335 error?
Please have look at this video h ttps://youtu.be/FK-zjFOT2Ao
Thanks for any help,
P.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,513 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response and for the links to other threads. There are no other codes showing on the OBD. I did try shorting pins 4 and 13 and this is what I got: https://youtu.be/-iV73OYo5aI Both the engine light and the P/S light seem to be flashing faults but I don’t know how to intepret them. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
I wouldn't be at all concerned with the P/S code unless the dash error light for it comes on. The many times I read codes with the 4-13 jumper while chasing down what turned out to be bad ABS sensors I saw many codes come up w/o setting error lights. It seems like one instance of a fault will set a code but it must take many to create a dash warning for the same system. I just drove the car today and had no error lights but I'm sure I'd get a few codes if I read them.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Ok, that's good to know. What about the engine light code? It's one flash, a space followed by three flashes. Any idea what that means?
No I don't but then your speedometer display is different than mine. I'd suggest clearing the codes both with an OBDII reader and by using the 4-13 jumper with 8 taps on the brake pedal and see what changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I reset all the codes. The P0335 error shows up again, everytime the vehicle does a left turn. (I kid you not!).

The car drives fine, no performance issues even with the engine light on. Driving straight, right turns all fine. As soon as a left turn is made the light comes on without fail everytime, same fault code, P0335. I’m guessing this is some grounding issue and it probably has nothing to do with the crankshaft sensor but I haven’t got any idea how to track down the fault. Has anyone got any experience of this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Folks,
I’m still getting this error, but only when I make a left turn at 15km/hr or more. Has anyone experience of what could cause such an error when cornering?

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Sounds like something in the steering system maybe a tie-rod is shorting the signal from the crank sensor somehow. Maybe the harness from the sensor has come out of its position and is getting pinched or rubbed on by something in the linkage. Was the car ever damaged in any way in the engine or steering areas? If so I'd get it on a lift and check those areas.

Years ago a friend of mine kept blowing a fuse that shut his Suburban's engine off. He had to carry a box of fuses just to drive it. To figure it out I connected a headlight bulb in place of the fuse so it would light instead of blowing another fuse. Then we drove it around my yard. Made a left turn and the light came on. Back straight it went off. We found a harness that had come out of it's mounting and was rubbing on the steering column. Some tape and zip ties permanently fixed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for that response. I've had three mechanics look at it all to no avail. Both the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and the wiring have been checked, rechecked and replaced.

There's nothing wrong with tie rods or the steering system as the fault doesn't occur when the engine is idling, only at 15km/hr or more. The car is well maintained and doesn't have any systems damage.

I'm at a loss here, one mechanic suggested it might have something to do with one of the transmission sensors, since the 'Check 4x4' message also appears but there's nothing to that effect showing on OBD reader, even the advanced ones.

Anything else I can try? I'd love to zone in on why it's happening for a left turn only.

Sounds like something in the steering system maybe a tie-rod is shorting the signal from the crank sensor somehow. Maybe the harness from the sensor has come out of its position and is getting pinched or rubbed on by something in the linkage. Was the car ever damaged in any way in the engine or steering areas? If so I'd get it on a lift and check those areas.

Years ago a friend of mine kept blowing a fuse that shut his Suburban's engine off. He had to carry a box of fuses just to drive it. To figure it out I connected a headlight bulb in place of the fuse so it would light instead of blowing another fuse. Then we drove it around my yard. Made a left turn and the light came on. Back straight it went off. We found a harness that had come out of it's mounting and was rubbing on the steering column. Some tape and zip ties permanently fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Since the "Check 4x4" message is your only clue at this point I'd pursue that path, but it'll likely take an All Codes reader to do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I found thrust broken on intake camshaft. Allowing cam shaft to move and form a larger gap triggering the crankshaft code. No abnormal noises were coming from engine and drove ok other than the dreaded left hand turn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I found thrust broken on intake camshaft. Allowing cam shaft to move and form a larger gap triggering the crankshaft code. No abnormal noises were coming from engine and drove ok other than the dreaded left hand turn.
Thanks for the swift reply I'll look into this. Were you able to get it repaired?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have this issue, looking forward to see, have scoped the crank sensor, and cam sensor the cam sensor output voltage seams a little low when turning left hand turn, very strange will looking into camshaft, the info doesn't relate to cam sensor at all, maybe Toyota got this fault codes wrong????

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Did it ever get established which engine this regards?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Engine is a 2az-fe (4 cylinder). Crankshaft code is very relavent to the camshaft and seems to override the camshaft code. Batman have a look at camshaft.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts