Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 rav4 v6 2WD. check engine light, slip, and vsc lights are illuminated.

I read the sticky explaining the lights just now.

used my little bluetooth code reader to get P0356, which claims to be coil F
is F the coil over cylinder 6? which would be drivers side front cylinder?

Is this an easy self repair? My other car is in the shop and we are driving 4 hours to the beach on saturday!

any advice is appreciated. We did get gas today and thought loose gas cap may have caused it but nope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just reset the codes with my scanner to see if it was a fluke. I started it up and they stayed gone for about 10 seconds then they all came back and I audibly heard a change in the idle. Bad coil for sure? Is it drivable under these conditions and I will just get bad gas mileage?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would drive it as little as possible. Coil F is the coil closest to the battery on the front bank. 1 2 3 = A B C 4 5 6 = D E F You are fortunate this time it is a front coil. The rear coils require plenum removal. If you have a rear coil code in the future, replace ALL three rear coils, toss the one in the rear that is bad, and save the two original coils for when a front coil goes bad.

If you continue driving with a misfiring cylinder, the catalytic converter on that bank will melt. The raw gas comes out of the fuel injector, the spark is not there to ignite the air/fuel mixture, so the raw gas goes out the exhaust port right into the front of the hot catalytic converter. The mixture is full of oxygen so the converter overheats. Eventually the substrate will melt, blocking the flow of exhaust like a potato in the tailpipe.

Buy only OEM Toyota or DENSO coils to ensure a quality job.

According to the textbook the spark plug should be replaced also, but not absolutely necessary. I've replaced a LOT of coils, and unless the coil was completely dead the spark plug can be put back into service if it isn't worn out.

Reactions: ratrodder77

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,330 Posts
Yes, F would indicate coil #6, the one closest to the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i bought a Denso (3426) FK20HR-11 spark plug and

PT Auto Warehouse IC487 - Ignition Coil because i needed them super fast and they were on amazon prime for cheap. PT auto warehouse stuff seems to have good ratings.

we drove it for about 15 minutes across town after the light came on. is that really bad or should I be ok?

and fixit thanks so much for the advice on the replacing the rear ones, i will definitely remember that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.