Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning RAV4 land.

I am in desperate need of some help. I have a 2005 RAV4 2 wheel drive S modes with 170,000. The past 6 months I have had these codes repeatedly pop up. P0442, P0446 & P0455.

I have replaced the following in this order:

Gas Cap
Filler neck
Charcoal Canister, twice, enacted warranty as code indicated it was canister.
VSV for EVAP
VSV for CCV

Symptoms: Fuel odor in cabin and lack of power and occasional hesitation. Also starts poorly. Turns over but initial high idle then everything runs ok.

I changed the VSV for CCV on Sunday June 11 and reset the code Monday June 12. by removing the negative battery terminal to reset code. This morning June 13 I still got the odor of gas in the cabin and the engine still feels like it is being robbed of power. I fully expect the check engine, Traction Control and Stability Control lights to come back on tomorrow morning.

Bottom line, I am sick and tired of throwing money and my time at this stupid problem.

It has had 4 smoke tests done with no noticeable leaks in any of the hoses or lines.

I need y'alls help if possible!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The light came back on this morning. Just got back from Autozone and it came back with P0442. Canister replacement is what is recommended. As referenced above it is only 3 months old and the second canister within the past year.

It also pulled up:
Faulty Fuel Cap; not even a year old
EVAP line leakage
Pump module failure
Canister faulty; again, not even 3 months old.

Please someone help me! I am sick and tired of this BS and tired of throwing money at this problem! RAV4 world, you are my only hope!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Did you change the purge solenoid valve? It's almost the only part remaining...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the purge solenoid attached to canister? If so it was replaced as a kit with the canister.

Last night I found a clamp on a hose that was out of place, so I adjusted it and reset the code. I do know after I replaced the two VSVs I do not have performance issues I was having before.

I have had one shop tell me my pressure control valve may be bad.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
659 Posts
The purge solenoid is in the engine bay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update 06/22/2017. I broke down and took it to a dealer. They narrowed it down between the canister and a roll over valve. Together they would be about $1,000. The canister I have on there right now is Xi brand, not a Toyota part.

The canister replacement at Toyota would about $700 parts and labor. They waived the 100 diagnostic fee for pure sympathy of the hell I have been going through chasing this code.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to update y'all.

I broke down and just purchased a Toyota charcoal canister. I replaced it this past Saturday. June 24, it is now June 29 and the that lovely check engine light has not reappeared. My lesson from all of this would be to purchase only Toyota made parts. I know this is not scientific but I noticed the Toyota part weighed oh so slightly more than the aftermarket part. Also, one of the hoses on the new canister that led to the engine was slightly longer and had a better fit.

Spend the extra money for the parts from Toyota. Honestly, changing all the parts yourself I have mentioned in this thread are very easily accomplished.

I hope this helps someone. I will keep you posted if my adventure continues.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I just wanted to update y'all.

I broke down and just purchased a Toyota charcoal canister. I replaced it this past Saturday. June 24, it is now June 29 and the that lovely check engine light has not reappeared. My lesson from all of this would be to purchase only Toyota made parts. I know this is not scientific but I noticed the Toyota part weighed oh so slightly more than the aftermarket part. Also, one of the hoses on the new canister that led to the engine was slightly longer and had a better fit.

Spend the extra money for the parts from Toyota. Honestly, changing all the parts yourself I have mentioned in this thread are very easily accomplished.

I hope this helps someone. I will keep you posted if my adventure continues.

Many times you can get Toyota oem parts on ebay much cheaper than dealers. Used Toyota parts are also an option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does any one knows what are those tiny 4 pinholes near the gas filler hose neck only visible once removed the driver side Rear Passenger wheel wall ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts