Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, my Rav4 2008 Sport 4wd 2400cc is showing error code P0973 on ODBII sensor. It appears that a rodent chewed through the Intermediate shaft speed sensor "A" wire that feeds the readout from the counter gear speed sensor to the ECM (engine computer module).

Here are the details of what the speed sensor does:
Toyota RAV4 Service Manual: Intermediate shaft speed sensor "A" - Diagnostic trouble code chart - Automatic transaxle system - U140f automatic transaxle

Here are my photos displaying the wire chewed off:
https://goo.gl/photos/JQ2U5cF4puUicFqT6

I was quoted about 4-5 thousand dollars by Toyota dealership for replacement of the entire harness (1K) and labor (5K). I'm trying to figure out if i can buy the parts myself from a 3rd party and get a non-affiliated mechanic to do the installation for much cheaper.

From the below link detailing the sensor and wiring diagram of the engine I think that I was able to find the speed sensor part number to be replaced (just in case) - It's called B24 "Transmission Revolution Sensor (Counter Gear)" and the part number is 90980–11156.
http://mr2.bordeauxgroup.com/2007 Toyota RAV4 Electrical Wiring Diagrams (EWD).pdf

However I can't seem to find the part name or number of the wire that connects to it and goes out to the ECM. Is anyone able to help? Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
i had a rodent chew a part of my wire for cylinder 2. It wasn't severed like yours so I was able to flow some solder in to complete the circuit again.

Are you able to locate the wire ends that were chewed? You maybe able to crimp or solder an extension and then insert it into the plug end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you able to locate the wire ends that were chewed? You maybe able to crimp or solder an extension and then insert it into the plug end.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'd like to try to find the harness part number and replace it if i can. I'll leave soldering the wires as a last resort :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I'd like to try to find the harness part number and replace it if i can. I'll leave soldering the wires as a last resort :)
the soldering isn't that bad to do. The issue is getting the stuff down there to do it. It is pretty tight. I think if you were going to do it, I'd get one of those cold flame soldering tool. They work quite well in small places. If you can crimp it, that would be good too, just make sure you seal the crimp area well. Heat shrink will do the trick.

I don't know how true this is but with the wire harness, you basically get the entire wiring harness? Someone correct me if I am mistaken. Good luck and let us know how you make out with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For future readers with the same problem:
I ordered 2 connectors, part number 82998-12440, image attached, that plug into the transmission revolution sensor plug (90980–11156). Then I got a mechanic to take apart the engine enough to get access to the damaged part, replace it and splice the wires into the harness. The 3 parts (2 wire connectors and the sensor plug) cost about $40 and the mechanic charged me $50 for the work.

82998-12440-Terminal-Repair-Wire-1c.jpg

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts