3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone!
I have a 2002 Rav4 with a P1130 code. When I hooked up my scanner I
got the following data:
short term fuel trim% 0 (never changes)
Long term fuel trim% 44 (never changes)
Replaced the sensor, same readings.
When I removed the old sensor it was covered with black soot.
By the way the darn thing runs fine although I have no idea of my
gas mileage.
The cat converter was replaced about 16 months ago. I live in San Diego.
Any ideas where to start other than moving to Mexico.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's me again. I forgot to mention that the problem is all in Bank one. It seems like the
computer isn't receiving any input from the sensor or is so far out of whack that it just
shuts down.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Is it possible you change the wrong A/F sensor? B1S1 is the upper one on passenger's side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bank 1 or 2?

That's interesting. I show bank one as the right side facing the engine
from the front. Bank one is for cylinders one and four, bank two is for
cylinders two and three. I appreciate your input and will double-check.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You're right. When I look at the wiring diagram, the colors match with the one on driver side.

·
Registered
114 Posts
After changing the A/F ratio sensor if your Fuel Trims are still high you will lose your CAT again in a year or so. Check other things if the trims are still high.
I actually had the same problem for a very long time. I had the CAT replaced 3 times and no shop ever checked my trims before. Finally I started to learn car fixing on my own from YouTube and discovered to check the fuel trims. They high but not high enough for the MIL light to go on. I also learn that CAT doesn't go bad without reason and either running lean or reach for a while will cause the CAT to go bad. That's what happened to me. After replacing the CAT for the last time I checked the MAF sensor, changed the bank one A/F Sensor, cleaned it but the fuel trims did not change. I also smoked the car for vacuum leaks but everything was ok. The final give away was that normally when the car runs lean and you have a vacuum leaks, or the MAF is dirty our bad the short fuel trims would improve while accelerating or increasing the RPMs. In my case the short trims we're not improving and even getting even leaner while increasing the RPMs. Finally I was advised by "scannerdanger" to swap the injectors from Bank one to bank two and if the trims readings would also move it would mean that the injectors maybe clogged up. (My both Banks were running lean but the bank one was much leaner than Bank one.) I did that and the problem moved so next I had the injectors pressure cleaned. Unfortunately no improvement. In the end I bought all 4 injectors by Sending, replaced it myself and right away the fuel trims improved to now being around +/-3%. So my advice is first, find out if your lean condition is coused by air leak, MAF sensor fully or fuel restriction of some source. Is your MIL on? Any freezer frame data you can share? Since only one Bank is running lean try swapping the injectors as air leak usually would effect both Banks the same unless you have a intake leak in the bank that is running lean.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts