Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 93k miles, this is the first problem I have had with my 2008 RAV4 v6 Limited. Had a rough start one morning. Acted like it wasn't getting fuel because the starter was working fine just wasn't turning over. Finally kicked on and didn't notice any problems until I drove for a few miles. The vehicle felt like it was running fine and didn't have a problem starting it again but my check engine, traction control, and VSC light came on and stayed constant. Took it to the dealer for inspection. P2195 code: A/F ratio sensor, bank 1 sensor 1, low voltage, stuck lean. Dealer told me they could replace it for $330. No thanks. Got the part # from the dealer. Researched the location of the sensor. It is located behind the engine on the exhaust before the catalytic converter. Pain in the ass to get to but doable. First, disconnect the negative battery terminal. Then, I took out the air cleaner housing and intake to be able to have room to get to the connection terminal. Had to use some pliers to grab the plug for added leverage. Next is the real pain. You have to go underneath the car and fit your arms through pretty cramped spaces around the exhaust. You can fit a full size 7/8 wrench coming in from the right side and have just enough space to maneuver. Below is a picture to help give reference to the location of sensor. Hope this post helps anyone who runs into the same trouble. Saved me $180 fixing this myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you try to just exercise/clean the connector first? O2 sensors output higher voltage when rich and lower when lean, and the rich voltage is only around 1 volt. With only 1 volt to play with, they are very susceptible to a poor electrical connection making it seem like the O2 sensor is reading lean. I've seen a clogged AC evaporator water drain cause water to drip onto an O2 sensor connector and cause the same problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try to just exercise/clean the connector first? O2 sensors output higher voltage when rich and lower when lean, and the rich voltage is only around 1 volt. With only 1 volt to play with, they are very susceptible to a poor electrical connection making it seem like the O2 sensor is reading lean. I've seen a clogged AC evaporator water drain cause water to drip onto an O2 sensor connector and cause the same problem.
I did not try to clean it. After taking it to the dealer and having it inspected, I just assumed they tested it and it needed to be replaced. And I kind of regret not doing so now. I will now and I'll it check with a multimeter just to double check its bad. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I did not try to clean it. After taking it to the dealer and having it inspected, I just assumed they tested it and it needed to be replaced. And I kind of regret not doing so now. I will now and I'll it check with a multimeter just to double check its bad. Thanks for the input.
But replacing it fixed the problem, right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
But replacing it fixed the problem, right?
Replacing it also exercised the connector which could have loosened up a bit of corrosion and fixed a poor connection...

Reactions: ravenuer
1 - 6 of 6 Posts