Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 RAV4 Limited V6 has thrown this code in conjunction with CEL, VSC at 95,000 miles

No other transmission codes are shown, Initiailly threw code 2.5 week ago - no abnormalities in driving noted. Light turned off after approx 2 hours of errand running, CEL returned 2 days ago, stayed on for 1.5 hours of errand running (stop-and-go) and turned off. No noticable driving issues (erratic or hard shifting, stalling at idle, etc).

Yesterday CEL/VSC came on again and stayed (all three times codes checked by Autozone - solitary codes); the only noticable difference in driving was transmission did not seem to "disengage" when gas pedal let go and brake applied- normally removal of gas pedal leads to rather quick deceleration.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Tranny fluid levels fine; fluid still red with no burnt overtones, tranny doesn't seem to be running hotter than usual.

Seems to early to have tranny issues with this transmission
Help?!?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the very same issue my code said the torque converter clutch was running high. My engine light, VS, and 4 Wheel drive light is constantly on. While they are on I have no Cruise or 4-wheel drive. I was told in order to repair my Rav4 2008 limited 4 cylinder that I would have to replace the whole transmission. Yet the Torque Converter Part is only $38 bucks. My care is driving fine no shudder shimmy or shake. Engine is smooth.
I just want it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any fixes? I just spent $1500 replacing the ECU with Toyota and two days later all 3 lights came on. Have to wait til Monday to take it back in and give them a piece of my mind

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
One week after posting this, I broke down and had Toyota dealership order the solenoid and replace it - the car has worked fine ever since. I did not attempt to do this myself but the solenoid supposedly bolts directly into the underside of tranny rather simply once tranny pan removed. I do not recall the exact cost but I think the solenoid cost was around $300. But had to pay to have tranny pan dropped, and seal and pan reseated and tranny fluid added.

Our dealership's master technician said in his 20 yrs, he's had to replace a handful (2-3) of these but, it being an electricial part, they sometimes tend to just fail for no reason. He did concede that "parts aren't made like they used to be"

Regarding the return of codes after replacing ECU, the master technician told me that the ECU has to run through 2-3 "cycles" before code will return, so no lights would have been present when you picked it up from the dealership. Sounds to me like the ECU may not have been the issue and now the solenoid still needs to be replaced?!?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I pulled the invoice from the fix -- solenoid assembly, part only $302.49 == total bill with labor $705

The master tech checked ECU before and after fix prior to releasing car to me to confirm fix was valid. He took me back into the bay both times to have me listen to the solenoid engage - before fix, very slow engage (kinda of a "thud") and sometimes no engaging at all; after fix, very quick electrical "snap"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts