Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a disclaimer that i MUST use Ceramic pads on the electric Rav4. I assume this means that I can't use Metallic? Does anybody know why this is?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Haven't given much thought to it...maybe the brake dust causes some issue with the regenerative brake system/electrical components, although I would think the motors would be free and clear of this? Ceramic is better anyways in many ways, I am not complaining.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Also, maybe because the brakes are somewhat computer controlled to be seemlessly integrated with the electric motors during regenerative braking, I am sure there is some gripping power characteristics that are different between ceramic and metal. So if you put the metal ones on, maybe that seemless transition between the two methods of braking wouldn't be so seemless anymore?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I came across a disclaimer that i MUST use Ceramic pads on the electric Rav4. I assume this means that I can't use Metallic? Does anybody know why this is?
If you want the best performance from your brake system, use the same Toyota-brand pads that your vehicle came with (available at your dealer.) These were designed to offer the best overall performance (including wear.) Aftermarket pads may offer improved stopping performance at the expense of lining wear or vice versa but are unlikely to be an improvement over the OE pads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok... i found the reason:

Some of the Rav4's came with Aluminum Rotors. And you can't use metallic pads with Aluminum rotors (because you won't get proper braking). If the electric Rav4 has regular steel rotors, you can use metallic pads.

It has nothing to do with the "electric" aspect other than they once used OE Aluminum Rotors to lower the weight of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OE equipment isn't necessarily better than aftermarket!! Aftermarket has MUCH better equipment. Take a look at www.R1Concepts.com as example - their stuff is much better than OE in a lot of places because their engineers eat sleep and sh$t brakes - they are completely OCD when it comes to brakes, and they care less about bottom line and more about building the best braking system (as opposed to OE engineers who are often overwritten by upper management in order to max profit. At R1 Concepts, nobody overides the engineers because they are upper management.

·
Registered
240 Posts
OE equipment isn't necessarily better than aftermarket!! Aftermarket has MUCH better equipment. Take a look at www.R1Concepts.com as example - their stuff is much better than OE in a lot of places because their engineers eat sleep and sh$t brakes - they are completely OCD when it comes to brakes, and they care less about bottom line and more about building the best braking system (as opposed to OE engineers who are often overwritten by upper management in order to max profit. At R1 Concepts, nobody overides the engineers because they are upper management.
Yes you may find an aftermarket product that is "better" than the OE product but it probably costs a lot more also. In terms of brake performance, tires are limiting factor in most cases. If you can lock the wheels (or activate ABS) with the OE brake system, then there's nothing you can do to the brake system to improve that performance. Unless you are racing and need better fade resistance, aftermarket parts aren't going to do much good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you may find an aftermarket product that is "better" than the OE product but it probably costs a lot more also....Unless you are racing and need better fade resistance, aftermarket parts aren't going to do much good.
I disagree. Aftermarket Parts are cheaper than parts from the dealer (for same quality). Period.

And if a person wants to find better performing parts than OE, aftermarket has that too. With many different grades, too.

For example, if you drive a lot, you would never put OE pads on your vehicle; you would put heavy duty or super duty pads on so they last longer and you spend less on installation.

Dealers have a niche. They HAVE to be more expensive because they serve a particular segment of the society: those that don't do research on car parts: women and old people.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Toyota's modern hybrids use regenerative braking up to maximum torque capacity of the low-speed/high-torque motors and/or battery charge capacity instead of the hydraulic service brakes for 90% of normal stopping power. Below about 6 MPH the regenerative braking becomes less effective and conventional hydraulic braking is used down to a full stop. Full-on panic stops, of course, use the hydraulic brakes 100%.

You will find that the Rav4 hybrid, like its Prius cousins, will have almost "lifetime" brake pads. The fronts on my 2004 Prius were still in great shape at 226,000 miles while the rears were worn pretty badly. The AWD-i system will try to use the motors to slow you down before applying the conventional hydraulic brakes so I'd expect well over 100,000 miles on the original pads/rotors. Just another little-known advantage of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy drive technology.

Bob in Massachusetts
2016 Rav4 XLE Hybrid

·
Registered
189 Posts
it is always up to the user/owner of the vehicle on what material type, manufacturer to use. remember, the most important is you take care of your brake system all the time. it doesnt matter how you drive or use your brakes. it will wear out eventually.

do your brake service regularly, more often if you are using dirty, muddy, rainy, and dusty place/roads.

that is! :-0

i like aftermarket products too, at least the good ones. but i use OEM brake parts on my Ravvy. why? it is proven! nope, they are not expensive!

·
Registered
240 Posts
i like aftermarket products too, at least the good ones. but i use OEM brake parts on my Ravvy. why? it is proven! nope, they are not expensive!
Exactly! The OEM pads were engineered for the vehicle by the vehicle manufacturer's engineer. Anything from the aftermarket (unless the aftermarket supplier is also the OEM supplier), is a "best guess." They make work just as well but there's no guarantee.

·
Registered
846 Posts
True. Could lead to warranty claim denial later on so I'm sticking with Toyota parts and have the dealership do them.

I'll definitely make sure to tell my dealership I don't want to be charged for engine and cabin air replacements as well as tire rotations. I know those should be included in the service maintenance schedules but I don't want any nasty surprises or charges.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For example, if you drive a lot, you would never put OE pads on your vehicle; you would put heavy duty or super duty pads on so they last longer and you spend less on installation.

Dealers have a niche. They HAVE to be more expensive because they serve a particular segment of the society: those that don't do research on car parts: women and old people.
Just a bit rude, eh? Okay, OLD PEOPLE hits home, whippersnapper! But OEM parts don't have to come from the dealer, can beat their prices on this new-fangled invention called the intro-net or some such, let me check my reading glasses. Oh, it's the internet.

OEM are most likely to fit and work as designed, and it's likely best to stick with those for a specialty car like the RAV electric. And the EV and the Hybrid pads are designed to last long time as ST-Bob pointed out. My dealer said "lifetime" on the 2016 'brid I tested, so not too worried about lots of install costs as you say. (I did roll my eyes when he said "lifetime" as old folks often do when youngsters say something outrageous like that.)

Finally, it's about the last vehicle I'd worry about chasing a minor increase in brake performance with aftermarket parts, as the regen system is your best brake. Apparently goes real light on the traditional type pads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts