Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2016 Rav4 and I have begun to notice what appears to be paint chipping on the hood…

They are NOT STONE CHIPS…

I have read on other sites that Toyota maybe had problems with some of their paint…

Anybody have a similar problem or know of a place to find information on this subject?...

(By the way, I also own a 2014 Tundra and the paint on it scratches almost by just looking at it. This has been mentioned on the Tundra website…)

Thanks…BCB

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
what color (tundra and rav4?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The '14 Tundra is Magnetic Gray Metallic…

The '16 Rav4 is Black Currant Metallic…

Thanks…BCB

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have been detailing cars part time for the last decade... Japanese water based paints are on the soft side for sure, black being the softest and the one that shows the most defects... the wife's Venza is magnetic gray, scratches are easy to make, but easy to polish out with the right tools and a fine polish. Black on the other hand is a full time job to keep scratchfree, and since paint is only so thick, you can't polish it too much or else you would hit metal. next car will be silver or white, harder paint and show less defects.

your complaint about paint is not something new, most car now a days have crappy paint, unless you go into the higher end makes/models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Magnetic Gray Metallic 2014 RAV4, paint chips all over the hood.
Do you think it is from a defective paint or do you think the paint is just not as good as the "old days" and it chips very easily?...

My wife's Rav4 is Black Currant Metallic…

Thanks...BCB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm trying to figure out if the paint on these Rav4's might be defective...

On my wife's Rav4 there are 1/2 dozen places where paint is chipped or flaked off...

There is no evidence of stone hits--no slight indents at all...

Thanks...BCB

·
Registered
82 Posts
We have a 2016 Rav4 and I have begun to notice what appears to be paint chipping on the hood?

They are NOT STONE CHIPS?

I have read on other sites that Toyota maybe had problems with some of their paint?

Anybody have a similar problem or know of a place to find information on this subject?...

(By the way, I also own a 2014 Tundra and the paint on it scratches almost by just looking at it. This has been mentioned on the Tundra website?)

Thanks?BCB
I have a 2016 SE and had the clearbra PPF applied to hood, bumper, fenders, side mirrors, A-pillar, front portion of roof in front of the sunroof, all 4 doors, gas door and rear bumper. No chips whatsoever.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2016 SE and had the clearbra PPF applied to hood, bumper, fenders, side mirrors, A-pillar, front portion of roof in front of the sunroof, all 4 doors, gas door and rear bumper. No chips whatsoever.
Probably why I noticed our dealer pushing the clear bras to people who buy cars. whenever I take our rav4 there they are always applying it to a car they just sold or they put it on a car on the lot to try to sell it.

We don't have it on our 2015 silver rav4 xle and we have a few chips that I cleaned and touched up but nothing to really say the paint is defective or anything.

I do notice it seems our mazda and toyota have more chips than our gm car. just an observation. they all get about the same highway miles.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Without reading this whole thread I can say that Toyota has had thin paint since I had my very first Toyota product - 2006 Highlander.

Do whatever you can to protect the factory paint job!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Without reading this whole thread I can say that Toyota has had thin paint since I had my very first Toyota product - 2006 Highlander.

Do whatever you can to protect the factory paint job!
they are on par for thickness, it's just on the softer side...
I have an ultrasonic PTG (paint thickness gauge) I usually get 120-180 micron paint thickness on Toyotas, on par with Honda, hyundais, Kia... Mazdas on the other hand often have under 100microns... vw is more variable from 120 to 250, bmw 150-220.

water based paints are just not as impact resistant/uv resistant then the older paint systems, and to save money manufacturers don't put has many coats than they used to

·
Registered
143 Posts
Definitely crappy paint, I took my yearly road trip up north(950 miles) and had 3 chips on hood and 2 on bumper). For the return trip I made a DIY bra out of painters tape which saved me from anymore damage on the way home.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where are they manufactured, Canada or Japan?
I'm not sure where that information might be found...

I never got notification via e-mail that I got replies so I am just reading them now...

Maybe those chips are just "standard" marks...

I have never had chips like that on other vehicles unless I actually heard a stone or such hit the vehicle...

This is our first Rav4. I have had 2 Tundras--an 11 and now a 14. There is no doubt that quality and just little annoying things are beginning to show. Nothing major, but I am a bit disappointed with the '14 Tundra. Gonna trade trucks in the fall and I haven't decided as to make yet...

My parents had 5 Toyota vehicles and they never had the minor problems I am seeing with ours...

We shall see what happens this fall...

Thanks all...BCB

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am having 2013 Rav4 and also its hard to count paint chips on my hood because there are that many chips I just drive to work regularly

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's an issue with the primer. There is no flex to it. I have the same problem in my rav. All you can do it put a clear protectant on it. I work for Toyota. We are running trials on a softer primer to prevent this in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BCB! I have 2016 Black Currant and came on this site to see if anyone else has defective paint. The paint flakes or rubs off everywhere. Ihave gotten opinions so I have something to base my complaint to Toyota.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure where that information might be found...

I never got notification via e-mail that I got replies so I am just reading them now...

Maybe those chips are just "standard" marks...

I have never had chips like that on other vehicles unless I actually heard a stone or such hit the vehicle...

This is our first Rav4. I have had 2 Tundras--an 11 and now a 14. There is no doubt that quality and just little annoying things are beginning to show. Nothing major, but I am a bit disappointed with the '14 Tundra. Gonna trade trucks in the fall and I haven't decided as to make yet...

My parents had 5 Toyota vehicles and they never had the minor problems I am seeing with ours...

We shall see what happens this fall...

Thanks all...BCB
BCB! I replaced my 2004 RAV with the 2016 RAV. I have owned multiple Toyota vehicles. My car is driven mostly highway. (It is a little old lady just going to her activities) It is garaged, hand washed and I don't drive on any gravel roads. My other Toyota vehicles did not have this issue. I had not seen this paint color and wonder if it was not tested correctly and it is defective? It rubs off, it has spider web cracks and chunks fall out of it, and it has chips everywhere. They are most concentrated on hood and roof at windshield. I was told the hood is aluminum and paint will chip easier and that it has too much pearl in it to be hard. I am going to Toyota to get an official response but I wanted to see if anyone else has this issue before I make the complaint.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts