Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only complaint about the Black color is the white base coat underneath. It is really noticeable. Is there anyway to paint the chips and not make it look worse that it is now.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tiredoffleetvehicles said:
Go figure, my super white has a dark gray coat underneath.
Unbelievable. I wish they would have put a darker base coat for the black. I thought they used a light color so that it would work with all their colors. Has to be a cost reduction thing. I am still looking for a way to do a touch up without getting the whole thing repainted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you contrast the two you can tell if you have even coverage of the base coat. If the primer and base coat are the same you can end up with thin spots even missed spots...even painting robots screw up from time to time ya know. :p

Get some touchup paint and get as much off the brush before applying it so that it doesnt go on too thick. Too bad its not just single stage paint, you could touchup, sand flat and polish and you'd never know it was there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had the same problem with my black Camry. Any chip showed white base. I just got my first rock chip in my new black RAV4. looks like light grey underneath the paint. I had a very diffucult time using touch up paint for the chips. I tried the touch up paint "pen" but it was nearly worthless. The good thing about black paint though is that a black glossy marker pen will cover up a scratch very well, albiet for a short time.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like something to try. I am going to try a black Magic Marker on the chips and see how it looks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts