Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following Toyota's suggestion to wax regularly, I have gotten upclose and personal with the paint job, at least part of it. It is not the best I have ever seen. Lots of orange peel probably due to the new top coat being water based, but I can live with that.

What I can't live with is the ten or so small blisters the size of the head of a pin in just two areas I have waxed, the hood and the tailgate. I thought it was dirt at first but I don't think so on close inspection. The blisters are dark red, almost burgundy with a circle of clear around them.

In addition, the hood has a two or three square inch spot with numerous 'chips' that reveal the base coat. They aren't really chips as I have only 300 miles on the vehcile and the odds of 7 or 8 rocks landing in an area of just a few square inches is pretty darn small.

I have yet to inspect the sides or roof.

The real bummer is even if they are willing to fix it, no way is body shop paint as good as factory, or at least what a factory paint job is supposed to be. Any other RAV4 owners, particularly with Barcelona Red ,have any issues with the paint?

Gene

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have 300 miles on mine, waxed it and have not noticed anything, but I will be looking closer.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Did 4 coats of Zaino Z-2, who knows how many detail sprays with the Z-6 and several washes by hand - you might say I'm familiar with my RAV's finish. Nearly flawless, one of the best if not THE best paint job I've had on a new vehicle, no orange peel or swirls whatsoever. :eek:

OC

·
Registered
118 Posts
gwoodall said:
The real bummer is even if they are willing to fix it, no way is body shop paint as good as factory, or at least what a factory paint job is supposed to be. Any other RAV4 owners, particularly with Barcelona Red ,have any issues with the paint?

Gene
Actually, if you find the right shop the paint will be better. There is nothing special about factory paint. You may be limited on your choices though, if it is a warranty fix.

You could try a clay bar on the "blisters" you described.

It denfinately sounds like a warranty issue, but bring it in ASAP so the stealership doesnt give you any BS about it being from road use.

I have the silver and the only problem I discovered was some streaking from condensation that gets trapped under the protective wrap they ship the car with. A heatgun easily removed these though. (see the "Discolouration On Left Side Of Roof" thread.)

The paintjob on mine is probably the best I have had on a car. Very smooth and no orange peel. Better than I was expecting.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I have a Barcelona Red, and I dont have any of the problems you discribe. I do get swirl marks and streaks but that is pretty common with red. The paint job is ok on the RAV, I mean its no MB, BMW or Lexus paint job, but considering the price of the RAV, its not bad.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've noticed a little more orange peel on the flat panels and none on curves....buffed by a lazy human...go figure.

I've only found one fish eye and its on the passenger rear door sill. Not too shabby for a large area of paint.

speaking of bad paint, when my wife bought a new 99 prelude SH it was swirled nicely (thanks to some goob with a wool pad doing the vehicle prep at the dealership) so she took it back (I was still deployed at the time or I would have taken care of it myself) and they sent it out to get buffed and when it came back it looked amazing....I just got back from Oman and I cleaned the car and what was left of the black pigmented wax they put on the car washed off. What was left you ask? How about a nice burnthrough on the hood, both fenders, passenger door, rear bumper...all the way through to the primer and there was even metal showing under the spoiler where the pad grabbed and dug through. Nothing like having a three week old car repainted to keep the value up right?

sorry to OT but just think of how lucky we all get when we get a car in decent shape, undamaged from the prep guys getting 6 bucks an hour to make ready your new car.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Whenever I get a new vehicle, I specifically tell the salesman - " Have them wash it , but don't towel dry it and don't have them put on any dealer's prep wax ". That way, if there are any swirl marks or surface scratches in the clearcoat, they can't say I didn't warn them.

OC

·
Registered
270 Posts
As far as I can tell my Barcelona Red is flawless, but then again my nickname is Mr. Magoo :)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sooperedd wrote:
As far as I can tell my Barcelona Red is flawless, but then again my nickname is Mr. Magoo :)
:lol: ROADHOG!! :lol:
Your new Barcelona red V6 looks nice, Ed. You gonna get some mudflaps??

OC

·
Registered
118 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
Whenever I get a new vehicle, I specifically tell the salesman - " Have them wash it , but don't towel dry it and don't have them put on any dealer's prep wax ". That way, if there are any swirl marks or surface scratches in the clearcoat, they can't say I didn't warn them.

OC
That is very good advice that I have followed in the past. Doing it this way makes it much easier to see any paint defects.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was supposed to get them and the remote start with the vehicle when I picked up the RAV, but they weren't on there and the salesman told me they were both a dealer added item; so he ordered both and when they come in they will install them. The mudflaps would be nice to keep it clean and avoid some possible rock chips, but the remote start was for my wife in the winter so no hurry on that.

As a side note I stopped in the parts department and asked the guy at the counter what accessories they had for 2006 Ravs and he said they didn't have ANYTHING. He looked through all these catologs and books and said...nothing. I was like what?? No bug deflector, bras, cargo mats; nothing?

I am about to order the rear bumper protector from Deland? Toyota on Ebay. Saved the link.

I have an appointment next week to have the Clear Bra installed, wheel to wheel, headlights, mirrors, door trim, behind the wheels and I don't know what else.

I am like so anal on taking care of my vehicles I drive myself nuts!!

It is such a beautiful vehicle it would be a shame not to take care of it. I have my thing about taking care of a vehicle and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sooperedd wrote:
I am like so anal on taking care of my vehicles I drive myself nuts!!

It is such a beautiful vehicle it would be a shame not to take care of it. I have my thing about taking care of a vehicle and it will take care of you.
We must be from the same litter!! :lol:
That's why everyone wants to buy my used cars whenever I decide to get a new one!! 8)

OC

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lots of paint issues

Hello fellow RAV owners. Bought a CPO 2009 Pearl white Limited in 2014 and on way home from dealer, noticed a small stripe of paint had peeled off roof just past edge of top of windshield. Ordered paint kit and fixed myself and all was well until a week ago taking a trip up north for a visit. After heading home in NC, done entirely in the rain, got home and noticed several more stripes of paint peeling off. Now quite a mess. Not sure if vehicle has been repaired but wondered if this is a problem with anyone else out there? I have attached a photo for viewing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have read several rav owners complaining about that very same problem........do some searching and you will find more info about it.......

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Hello fellow RAV owners. Bought a CPO 2009 Pearl white Limited in 2014 and on way home from dealer, noticed a small stripe of paint had peeled off roof just past edge of top of windshield. Ordered paint kit and fixed myself and all was well until a week ago taking a trip up north for a visit. After heading home in NC, done entirely in the rain, got home and noticed several more stripes of paint peeling off. Now quite a mess. Not sure if vehicle has been repaired but wondered if this is a problem with anyone else out there? I have attached a photo for viewing.
It is a Toyota paint defect. Other owners got their cars repainted by dealer. Take it up with your dealer.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Any other RAV4 owners, particularly with Barcelona Red ,have any issues with the paint?

Gene
No paint problems here, but I had the OptiCoat Pro coating applied and it's been amazing. I highly recommend it. But when you say "orange peel" are you referring to the lower rockers. That texture I believe has to do with rust protection undercoating - correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
More picts of paint peel

Hello to all RAV4 owners, I had previously written about bad Blizzard Pearl paint on my 2009 Limited edition. I will attach more below. Looks like just driving through a long day of rain made these peels occur. Not sure if vehicle has been in accident or just bad paint overall. Not sure if Toyota will even care!
Not sure how to proceed except to get to local dealer and have him look at it. Then start contacting customer service at Toy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Like Rav4System advised, you can search and find several posts like yours. many of them white paint. Hope the CPO warranty serves you well! This thread is good--prepare to do battle with the dealer:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/146098-paint-chipping-rav4-2010-v6.html

Hope you don't get the assessment that the flaking is likely meteorite strikes or some such.

BTW, interesting you tagged onto a thread going all the way back to 2006 about the superior nature of the Barcelona Red RAVs. :thumbs_up:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts