Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had rust on the front seat posts where it bolts to the floor since Iowned the car new. I tried recoating it and it just broke through and is now rusty.

I have scraped off the post and want to paint it, so I was wondering if anyone has a hot tip on how to, or what to paint it with? It is gloss black.

Funnily enough the floor around it doesn't appear to be rusty.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Can you provide a picture or 2? What does it look like on the driver's side?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Junebug,
I just realized that in my haste I said seat posts. It is only the right, forward pax seat post that has a lot of rust. The left fwd pax seat post has only a bit of rust on it.

The floor on the right post has only a bit of rust and it could be surface rust. The left side floor has no rust. The driver's side has no rust.

I tried to post the pics but was not successfull in reducing the size.

·
Registered
244 Posts
When you have rusty spots you can't just overpaint them with any paint. Then the rusting proces will continue and break trought the paint.
There are some paints which can stop and seal rust, like Rustoleum paints, but that's not always the best solution.

You need to clean all rusty metal parts with sanding paper or a rotating metal brush, etc.
When the metal is blanc and clear wihout any rust left, then you need to apply a metal primer. You can take a rust isolating primer too.
When that layer of primer is dry, you can apply another layer, or take some fine sanding paper to make this layer smooth and paint ready.
Then apply the black spray paint in 3 thin layers, with some drying time in between. Now the rust won't come back again.
To do it even better you can apply one or two layers of clear coat after the black paint, to seal and protect the black paint a bit extra.

Via Youtube you can find plenty of 'how to' movies.

And one other thing: the rust can be generated from moisture/water coming from the bottom/inside of the car.
When this is the issue rust removal and repaint will be a temporarly solotion until the rust will grow back again.
In this case you need to search for the cause, where the moisture/water is coming from, and how to solve this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Theo for an excellent answer. I used a wire brush but will sand also.

Years ago I had an excellent coating that actually dissolved the rust so it isolated the bare metal, but that paint is long gone.

I had read that there may be leaks coming from either the sunroof or the moisture collecting on the sunroof. I cleaned out the drain tube for the sunroof, so that may have been the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Theo has probably not learned about POR products.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I actually brushed and sanded as much rust as I could with the seats outside the RAV.
Applied POR products ( I have used the kit several times and had great success in the past) but the rust just came back as badly as before within a couple of years.
I am disappointed with this; I am might repaint it when it is time to sell.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Use a rust converter that chemically changes the oxidized metal(rust) to an inert black finish, I've used it for years, works excellent, just follow the instructions. Some go on clear, others are almost white, but they still turn black when applied to rusty ferrous metals. I used the Plastikote last summer to refinish some rusty suet feeders, the tops were completely rusted inside and out, thought I'd have to toss them, but they came out great, they've been hanging in the weather since last September and show no signs of rust so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPI0R8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Not sure if salt (even salt particles in the air) around that area makes it harder for POR-15 to do its job.
BTW, I also used the rust converter from POR-15 and POR-15 degreaser before applying POR-15.
Maybe I will be luckier next time.
The passenger seat seems to be doing better but that's because hardly anyone sits on that side.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Theo has probably not learned about POR products.
Hi Pico, probably I know what POR products are, but I'm living in The Netherlands, and over here we have the same kind of products but with different names. Sometimes even based on different ingredients due to country laws.
I could refer to some EU paint brands, but they are probably not sold and known in the US.

We know the paints too that stops the rusting proces, and converts rust in to a non corrosive anti rust material. But when I tell you those brands you'll be looking like a monkey in a sigar shop. (Dutch saying for absolutely not knowing it) :wink

Finding the cause of the mosture can be a hard job. I've seen people busy with garden hoses and lots of water on the car to find leaking spots. Or driving a complete and inspected dry car on a hot summer day through the carwash, and then inspect on water leakage afterwards.
And I also know a story about not finding any water leakage at all, because the cause was a leaking airco tube or hose inside the car. Dripping water directly on to the car's bottom plate, which gave the rust problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Use a rust converter that chemically changes the oxidized metal(rust) to an inert black finish, I've used it for years, works excellent, just follow the instructions. Some go on clear, others are almost white, but they still turn black when applied to rusty ferrous metals. I used the Plastikote last summer to refinish some rusty suet feeders, the tops were completely rusted inside and out, thought I'd have to toss them, but they came out great, they've been hanging in the weather since last September and show no signs of rust so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPI0R8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bingo, that's the one I got today. I did two coats and it looks good.

Hopefully problem solved. That is the same stuff I used years ago for a similar issue.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts