Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some cheap steelies (silver coloured). I'd rather them be black, mainly because it'll look better in winter. Wondering if anyone here has done plasti-dip or the rust spray paints and how well those have held up during harsh winters?

·
Registered
419 Posts
CanadianRav - Being from Canada, any rust issues already on your steel rims ??

I'm not a fan of spray bomb paint, given its poor properties of sealing out moisture / and can't stop rust in its tracks. And I'm sure plasti-dip paint has adhesion issues / but never used it.

Steel wheels painted with tougher automotive paints (enamel or urethane), can remain perfect for many years - its all about preparation & paint supplies.

When we bought our 2008 RAV4 Limited, it had used steelies (all rusted up) and winter tires on it.
- bought near new 17" alloys off a 2013 Highlander and the original Limited alloy rims used for winter tread http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/209097-17-highlander-oem-rims-2013-rav4-2008-limited-offset.html

Picked up some cheap steelies (silver coloured). I'd rather them be black, mainly because it'll look better in winter. Wondering if anyone here has done plasti-dip or the rust spray paints and how well those have held up during harsh winters?
^^ Since the rims all ready purchased, throw some universal plastic wheel covers on them.
- make'em look better

·
Registered
400 Posts
Plastidip works very well for wheels, including in winter conditions, provided that you coat it with a clear coat of some kind. Here is a post of my 4.1's wheels, done with Plastidip and Duplicolor Wheel Covering. I painted them 5 years ago, and they still look good. I power-wash my Rav (including the wheels) often, and I live in Colorado so they have seen plenty of winter conditions. Colorado uses mag-chloride and sand.

Here's a post I did recently, which links to my original post from 2012, as wells shows the wheels today.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/266353-diy-another-plasti-dip-wheel-black-out-5-year-update.html

Also, there are pictures of another Rav4 that I recently did. I like Plastidip for this application, through you could also use spray paint. Just be sure to use a bare metal primer on the wheels before spraying the color. Plastidip does not require primer of any kind.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts