Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got my 2016 Rav4 Limited (black/black). Can you please share/suggest your experience about "Paint Protection Film" whether I should get it or not? I talked with dealer and they informed me that it will cost $500 including installation.

The Paint Protection Film is for hood and fenders.

Does it worth?

Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's not a bad price. I was clobbered several weeks after purchasing my RAV late last year and just received it back from the body shop the other week. Since the bumper and fender was replaced/re-painted, I know from experience that I'll start getting gravel chips in the paint in short order. So, my search for 'clear bra' began.

Before the collision, (I refuse to call it an "accident", because accidents are unintentional and this was deliberate on the part of the other driver), I received a quote from my dealer. Can't remember for sure, but I think it was $650 or there abouts. Also, the dealer themselves would not install the film. They contract that out to someone else.

I then started researching on the net and came to the 3M web site. One of their sub pages is a search engine for qualified, trained installers. I spoke with several and chose one that was nearby. His quote is $700, and that includes the bumper, hood (partial), and fenders (again partial). There are three grades of film and he is installing the highest grade. (Don't know what grade Toyota OEM is.)

The installer is scheduled to come by the house this coming Saturday to install the film. I'll be glad because the car has been sitting in the garage for several weeks for fear of driving it and getting chipped. The delay was because the paint has to cure first before installation. You shouldn't have that delay.

Does it worth?
Awesome way to ask two questions with only three words. That's great!

Does it work? That I can't say yet. But I can say that the previous auto I owned had a repainted bumper where after several years of ownership, the paint started peeling off. I had it repainted by a fellow who said, "This stuff is really hard. It will never chip or peel." Wrong! Took several more years, but I did start noticing multiple, small chips due to gravel and rock hits. Knowing I now have a repainted bumper, I'm hoping the grade of film he is using, (it's supposed to be 'self healing'), will work to keep the car nice.

Is it worth it? Depends. If you like to keep your 'stuff' nice and tend to keep it for a long, long time, then to me, it is worth it. If you really don't care how your vehicles look, then it probably isn't worth it. As with most things in life, you probably won't get out of it what you put into it. Cars are a consumable. They wear out and depreciate to the point where they are practically worthless. For me, I'd like to keep it nice for as long as I can, so it is worth the considerable expense.

p.s. The 3M film he's using has a seven-year warranty. Don't know what that entails. The lower grade films have a shorter warranty.

Reactions: Sky Blue

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have yet to get the Sales Manager to confirm in writing that his colleague used the newer 3M Scotchgard Pro Series film

The following are the areas we had the put the film on: headlights, 1/3-1/2 (doesn't look like half to me) of the hood, front bumper including surrounding front facing painted areas.

It was $600 but wasn't through Toyota Canada but was done before I took possession of the vehicle. He mentioned a 3 year warranty on it.

If coming from Toyota as an add-on, it's already $570 (it was around $500 before 2016) and might only cover 1/3 of the hood.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer informed me that Paint Protection Film for Hood/Fenders will cost $551 including labor and tax. For Front Bumper it costs more, around $500 only for film which excludes labor and tax.

Here I also talked with a 3M Certified installer for Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film Pro Series. He told me that it will cost me $1150 for full coverage (hood, front bumper, headlights, mirrors and door cups).

Partial (full front bumper, partial hood/fenders, mirrors and door cups) cost $550.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Probably ask another dealer to see if it's within the ballpark. Canada is known to gouge consumers (less competitive) and mine was $600 before taxes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably ask another dealer to see if it's within the ballpark. Canada is known to gouge consumers (less competitive) and mine was $600 before taxes.
What was covered for you? Is that including labor?

Thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
^ $600 Canadian included material and labor but not tax. I did have a look at the job when I brought the vehicle home and it looked okay (no expert on this and I didn't meticulously check for imperfections). I did confirm the film on the headlights, about 2/5 of the hood, in front of the fenders

I did not check the other areas in the front of the vehicle but I would assume that the film should have wrapped around the bumper and other painted parts because that was my instruction.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is it worth it? Depends. If you like to keep your 'stuff' nice and tend to keep it for a long, long time, then to me, it is worth it. If you really don't care how your vehicles look, then it probably isn't worth it. As with most things in life, you probably won't get out of it what you put into it. Cars are a consumable. They wear out and depreciate to the point where they are practically worthless. For me, I'd like to keep it nice for as long as I can, so it is worth the considerable expense
As volosong mentions, this is your first consideration.
I've had my last 5 vehicles done, so obviously I believe it is worth it.
I tend to be a bit anal about the care of my cars. I usually spend anywhere from $700 to $950 for the work. The materials being used currently are far superior to that of 8 to 10 years back.

I use the best quality available (Xpel on the RAV 2 yrs ago, and SunTek on my Genesis) and do my research to find the best installer in the area. Experienced installers make a huge difference when one of the concerns is final appearance.

How effective is the protection?
Depends on what elements you expose your RAV to.

Works great for the occasional small pebbles getting flung up, but a steady diet of NJ winter roads with rock salt/sand and anti-skid material will dull even the best clear protection film.
I like it because road tar and bug guts wash off quite easily. And the newer materials don't yellow after a few years, unlike the stuff put on 10 years ago.

The only regret with my RAV is that I didn't have the entire hood done. I'm spotting small chips in the soft Toyota paint on the rear portion.
Mirror housings are also very susceptible to chips and getting the headlights covered may save one from a rock crack.

How fussy are you and how deep are your pockets?

Reactions: Sky Blue

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I park the car outside under open sky in my fixed parking location as I am living in apartment. Now, will "Xpel Ultimate" help in this condition?

I received a quote from one Xpel certified dealer as below:

P0126AM - Partial hood, fenders and mirrors (straight cut) - $340
P0126AN - Partial hood, fenders and mirrors (curved cut) - $350
P0126AO - Full hood, full fenders and mirrors - $955
P0126AE - Mini hood, fenders and mirrors - $235
P0126AP/AQ - Front bumper (with or without PDC) - $500
P0126AI/AJ - Roof and a-pillars (with or without sunroof) - $150
Custom - Rear bumper top (luggage area) - $75
H0126E - Headlights and fogs - $100

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

I talked to leebarbs and decided to take Xpel's Ultimate.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2016 Rav4 came with partial paint protection. Went on Amazon (Car Protection Pros) and purchased the full front bumper, door edge guards and door cup 3M Pro series clear paint protector.
The kit came as one sheet. The film was also had precuts for the front senors. The cost for the product was about $210 and I paid a local detail guy another $200 to install it in my garage.
The installation went fine and took about 2 1/2 hours.
The local Toyota dealership would have charge me $600 for the job, including tax. I am not sure if they use the Pro series or not, the difference in price was about $20 to upgrade to the pro series.
If you are thinking of purchasing the product, I can highly recommend this merchant. They provided excellent customer service and fast shipping out of California. They have their own website, but I opted to order thru Amazon to have some peace of mind, since I had no history with them.
I also have a 2007 Solara, that needs a refresh paint job in the front. Once repainted and given a couple of months of cure time, I intend to purchase clear film protection for it. Total cost for an entire front end would run about $300.
Hope this helps..... I am very pleased with this product

1 - 12 of 12 Posts