Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I wanted to get some 3M clear paint protection, is that something I can install myself, or should I have a shop do it? I just want to cover the front most part of the hood, fenders, and the mirrors.

I was thinking of using this stuff (cant post links, only 4 posts) : 2016-2017 Toyota RAV4 3M Scotchgard PRO SERIES Clear Bra Paint Protection Film Standard Kit

Thoughts on it?

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Have it done by a pro. It appears easy but it's not.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree with @RTexasF. I also contemplated doing the wrap myself, but that front bumper has soooo many contours.
Had ours wrapped in DuraShield Titan XT, very happy with the end result and the peace of mind. Expensive, but great investment. Even helps with removing the bugs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have watched some video on yt. It looks good and shiny :)

What's the average cost to do it? Anyone can comment if it has last long or caused any crack for their (any) cars coated over 5 years?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have watched some video on yt. It looks good and shiny :)

What's the average cost to do it? Anyone can comment if it has last long or caused any crack for their (any) cars coated over 5 years?

Cost was $499 plus tax CAD...have had it on for about 4 months now. Can't comment on longevity yet.

Wanted to also to 4" up the hood, fenders and mirrors.
That was going to run $800 ish. Settled on the Bumper and lower trim pc. for now as they are the most vulnerable. Put a bug deflector on the hood to protect that.

Reactions: JuJu83

·
Registered
11 Posts
There's also this stuff 3M™ Paint Defender Spray Film

It's a lot cheaper and you can spray it on yourself. Doesn't look anywhere as professional of course, but it's also 1/10th the price

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really just want a section of the hood, fenders, and mirrors. I was quoted $400 by a shop so far, what's about norm? How far up the hood should I go? I know from previous cars ive owned, that's the part that gets dinged up really good.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I really just want a section of the hood, fenders, and mirrors. I was quoted $400 by a shop so far, what's about norm? How far up the hood should I go? I know from previous cars ive owned, that's the part that gets dinged up really good.

When I did ours, the option for the hood was a 4" lip.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Xpel is the best 10 year warrenty, use a paint cleaning clay before you have it installed.
If you are paying for professional installation why would you clay the car???? You're paying them to do whatever is necessary to install it correctly and warranty it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had the bumper, front edges of the fenders, complete hood and mirrors done with XPel over 3yrs ago on my 2014RAV. $715
Still looks as good as day 1. Hasn't dulled, yellowed or crazed.

Reactions: KSayre

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I did ours, the option for the hood was a 4" lip.
What'd that run you in 'murican cash?

Also curious, anyone notice the front screws, 2 of them drill into the bumper, but the two that hold the plate on, also drill into the bumper a bit? I went back to the dealer asking, because it made some divets, and dented the front bumper under the license plate a bit. Then they showed me a few on the lot, they do that to all of them... is that my dealer just using the wrong screws?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Beware: the only vehicle I've had dealer paint protector on is my Tacoma. The paint looks fine but there are areas where the paint protector has peeled.

So in "protecting" my paint with paint protector the vehicle looks worse.

Never again.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Beware: the only vehicle I've had dealer paint protector on is my Tacoma. The paint looks fine but there are areas where the paint protector has peeled.

So in "protecting" my paint with paint protector the vehicle looks worse.

Never again.

If the dealer did it, wouldn't they warranty it ?
Or the sub company that did it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts