Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has managed to take off the front badge and replace it with something else?
Have not tried to take it off yet because I have not been able to find a replacement.
Looking to have it "Blacked out" and I would normally just P.D. it, but it's behind a clear cover. Also not looking to spend $250 on a replacement one from ebay. There has to be an easier/cheaper solution.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not sure what options we have since the radar for adaptive cruise is behind the emblem. I saw one thread of someone that changed emblem out and it caused issues(I'm looking but of course I can't find it now) . I would love to find emblem with little less chrome!!! I'm just not brave enough to screw with it.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My 2016 emblem isn't potted in acrylic like the 2017s. Maybe you can source a 2016 emblem? But as posted above, I'm not sure if there is a reason for the change. My limited doesn't have the adaptive cruise so maybe all models with adaptive cruise are potted? Not sure.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like we have the major answer to why they are and why it seems like not a lot of ppl have done it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can use plastidip to cover it up. Not that hard to do. Here's video in how to: https://youtu.be/FV_ULUKno5w

This will cost you 6 dollars

Man, you have impressive reading skills...
If you had read my post, obviously I know how to P.D.
Second, why would we want a big black oval on the front of the grille...?
Pretty sure you are missing the point.
And on we go...

·
Registered
184 Posts
First of all no need to get personal, you don't like my reply, just ignore it. Good luck with whichever solution you'll find.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Almost as impressive as your social skills.
You ask for help then crap on someone trying to help, not cool. Be nice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost as impressive as your social skills.
You ask for help then crap on someone trying to help, not cool. Be nice.

Still unclear on how that "Someone's" post is supposed to help.
Also know I don't need your personal opinion on how my social skills come across.
If you have a relevant answer to this question, I would be more than happy to entertain it.
Other than that, keep on doing your thing sir.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
My thing is helping to keep this forum in line and you are clearly out of line. If you wish to find yourself removed from the forum continue with your attitude. If you enjoy the forum then chill and play nice. One warning only.

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
If you had read my post, obviously I know how to P.D.
Second, why would we want a big black oval on the front of the grille...?
Pretty sure you are missing the point.
And on we go...
Guess my reading skills leave something to be desired too since I didn't realize that P.D. meant plasticdip.

I've been here for years and seen many post responses that missed the OP's point or suggested something the OP didn't favor but that needn't and shouldn't elicit a heated response. We've lost some otherwise very helpful members by them going too far down that road.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guess my reading skills leave something to be desired too since I didn't realize that P.D. meant plasticdip.

I've been here for years and seen many post responses that missed the OP's point or suggested something the OP didn't favor but that needn't and shouldn't elicit a heated response. We've lost some otherwise very helpful members by them going too far down that road.

Heated response, I see none...

Based on the fact I sent @RTexasF a private message minutes after posting his last kind words. Expressing my point of view...

Assuming you are also posting in this thread to make relevance of his earlier post. It seems Some people are a bit more sensitive than others.
Got it, point taken.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Some people are missing the point. The emblems I've seen on the 2017s are potted in acrylic. Meaning if you simply cover it it will be just an oval plate. The emblem itself is embedded in the acrylic. My 2016 emblem is a standard emblem but it's changed for 2017. You can kind of see what I mean in this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe try some sort of dark window tint material. It would darken the whole emblem but it would make the chrome a lot less obvious. I'm curious to see if it would cause issue with the radar behind the emblem, but I've seen black chrome on wheels before, and if this gives it that same look, I think it would come out very nice. Worst that could happen is you just peel it off.

Reactions: J-Roc

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe try some sort of dark window tint material. It would darken the whole emblem but it would make the chrome a lot less obvious. I'm curious to see if it would cause issue with the radar behind the emblem, but I've seen black chrome on wheels before, and if this gives it that same look, I think it would come out very nice. Worst that could happen is you just peel it off.

Now that is a good idea...!
May give that a try.

·
Registered
143 Posts

This was a thought I had and I may try since I have a roll in the garage. Just not sure how well the the tint will hold up around the edges. If I get a chance I may try this week end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tried a piece of tint over emblem and got below message, granted it may have been because of my bad tint job since I maverick have had some air bubbles underneath

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tried a piece of tint over emblem and got below message, granted it may have been because of my bad tint job since I maverick have had some air bubbles underneath

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Thanks for being the guinea pig on this one...I'd say regardless of the air bubbles, the same message would appear.
Looks like I may try a separate black toyota badge the same size and 3M tape it to the front, over top of the acrylic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts