Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well our new RAV has a dent in the rear bumper cover which is to be replaced by the Toyota body shop soon. Surprisingly the cover is only $230 but must be painted to match the vehicle. I hope it turns out OK. I was thinking of picking up a set of the OEM mudguards and asking the body shop to paint them while they are painting the bumper cover. Anyone know if the paint would chip or peel. Is this a bad idea. Also, I was thinking of the Deland bunper guard but it looks to be hard plastic that would scratch easily, unlike something made of rubber. Anyone who has one care to comment...

Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
hey a little off topic but i think painting them the color of the car would cheapen the look slightly and mess up the smooth lines the car has. just my opinion though :lol:

C

·
0 Posts
I think painting them would look very good.

While the mudflaps may be made of the same material as the bumper skin, the flaps are subjected to a lot more movement and twisting, which is what can make paint lose its bond.

That said, I have certainly seen body color mudflaps in the past, so it must be practical. I'm sure any good body shop will know what they have to do to be prepare the surface, how to mix the paint, etc., in order to get the paint to stay on the flaps over the long haul.

In your shoes, I would go for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts