Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I need to spray a fender and front bumper cover for my wifes Rav4. I don't need auto show quality just decent.
What brand to you guys favor? Also since I know primer color can affect finish color, should I spray grey primer over black ecoat for Pacific Blue paint?
Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
3 Posts
Duh! Thought maybe he could check and see if there was a recall on his Toyota too! Go figure.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Sounds like he had an accident and needs to repair a fender and bumper. Doubt Toyota's going to recall and repaint his car.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have used a company that puts auto quality paint in a spray can. Very expensive, but good quality. Do a google search.
The last time our RAV was in a fender bender I bought a cheap prepainted rear bumper cover off E-bay. Decent color match but poor prep. Paint peeled at the edge just below the bumper step. I went and bought some duplicolor brand spray can paint, based on the paint code. Had to order it from OReilys as they didn't have it in stock. I tried to sand the edges, cleaned with rubbing alcohol, spray adhesion promoter, grey primer, paint, then clear coat. I was very careful with my steps and did several coats of each. The color match is decent. But the blend lines are noticeable if you look closely.

A fender and front bumper is a big area to do with a small spray can nozzel. Are you doing it on or off the car? Can be done.
RAVbumper.jpg

RAVbumper2 - Copy.jpg

rav cinder cone.jpg

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If you spray your car you need the spray can and clear coat spray. I would avoid doing this on a windy day. Better to do this in a garage where the wind can't blow if you have one or build some kind of protection with plastic to shield the wind. You will need to check online for any paint code that matches your car.

·
Registered
BASE 2010 RAV4 AWD
9 Posts
Look up the color code for your vehicle first. If quality doesn't matter much, go to an auto parts store with the color code. If it's a light blue, use white primer. Dark blue might use a light grey primer.
You will need to research how to paint cars a little if you have never done this before. Light layers need to be used or it will crinkle. Don't forget the clear coat!
;) good luck

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention that I wet sanded some of the paint layers in between. Air temp and humidity is also important. Should be above 70 degrees and dry. Learn the proper paint stroke. Start the spray off the work piece. Draw the can across keeping the spray parallel to the work piece, not in an arch. Then finishing the spray off the piece. I also keep a scrap of card board in the other hand to use as a shield to prevent over spray.
I have been rattle canning since I was a kid, so I have a bit of experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts